Wednesday, February 25, 2009

When the Rubber Meets the Road

How easy it is to study God's sovereignty and wax eloquently on one's beliefs. Beliefs that are very dear to my heart, especially in the Big Matters of Life.

But when the mama claws come out because I discover that, in spite of lengthy discussions and reassurances, the high school has not had my boy in Math & English classes (for the past year and a half!) taught by a teacher with the particular certification required by his level (only discovered because of the confusion raised in registering my girl) it brings it down to a whole 'nother level. I was absolutely furious yesterday, particularly because of the struggles he had in Algebra II last year. I kept thinking "if only he'd had the other teacher."

And then a little voice spoke to me - "Is God sovereign over the little things or just the big things?"

That doesn't mean we don't take action to fix mistakes, but it sure puts a different -and eternal - perspective on it.

But don't mess with my kids!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

9 comments:

Liz said...

I think I know where you're coming from. I always praise God for His sovereignty. It's my favorite attribute of His. Yet I find myself complaining, fearing, worrying and quite often joyless when life is hard and I don't understand things. I believe He'll keep working on these sin areas in me until I finally act in faith believing in His character. I'm thankful He faithful, even when I'm faithless.

Natalie said...

That's a hard thing to let go of, especially when your precious life-cargo is effected. I hope things can work out.

Leigh Anne said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. That instinct to care for your cubs comes from God. He understands.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

It's the little things that catch me. Ever single time.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

That's one of the hardest things to let go for me. I have such an instinct to protect, that I forget Who's protecting me, and by extension, my children.

That's hard to believe about the teacher though. Not in the sense that I don't believe you, but that they would hire someone who was not qualified. Are they going to do something about it?

Xandra

Beverlydru said...

The voice of God is so welcome to me- even when it's a soft reproach. But don't mess with my peeps either! I think they need us as their advocates, so the lioness in us can be a good thing.

I tried the book review today in my post. You've inpired me. : )

sara said...

I'm with you girl, don't mess with my kids.....but don't you hate it when God gives you opportunity to put into practice what you are learning?! Actually..I love it.

Kelly said...

Amen & amen! I'll never forget once when one of my hubs relatives said something about our age difference. His mother (in her 70's) told the woman to MYOB! She told me later "no body messes with my kids!" I felt so good to be included as one of her kids.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Interesting. And although we can't help our visceral, instantaneous reactions, we have to submit everything that we can after that to God, which is easier said than done.