Friday, February 20, 2009

Where Did It Go?

Yesterday was the Big Day.

For more than a week, my girl has been counting down with much anticipation to reach yesterday's milestone event. No, it wasn't a birthday, a party, a concert or a school holiday.

The high school counselors came and talked to the 8th graders about next year's schedules!

Armed with the course catalog and papers detailing required courses and electives, she eagerly came home and pulled me on the couch with her to pencil in a tentative 4-year plan. Monday night we actually go to the high school for the presentations by the various departments. She can't wait to meet the Fine Arts teachers as she's trying to figure out how to manage both orchestra (she plays viola) and choir, especially on a varsity level when they might be "double-blocked." (The kids have A & B days with half their classes each day, so a few classes like band, athletics, and possibly varsity choir are assigned two class periods so they go every day.) Dinnertime conversation was filled with discussions of Pre-AP classes and P.E. choices and homework loads and all manner of high school things. Of course, much of it we've been through with my boy, and she enjoyed asking him lots of questions, but the music is a new twist.

She is so excited and has been smiling from ear to ear. "I'm really going to high school!"

I certainly wouldn't ever want to hold her back, but my smile is a little wistful. This is my baby, after all. Seems like just yesterday she was sucking her thumb and playing peek-a-boo.


Picture credit: stock.xchng

Photobucket

View blog reactions

10 comments:

sara said...

that was me last year!!! It is so fun watching them grow up, but so sad watching them grow up!!!

Unknown said...

Our youngest daughters are the same age. I was stunned when she brought home the HS registration papers. I mean, I fixed her dinner plate last night! (Granted, she's sick, but still!)

How old is your son? My other daugther is in 10th grade and will be 16 AND A HALF next month.

When you find where the time went, would you send some of it my way?

Anonymous said...

Where did it go indeed! My daughter is heading to HS next fall as well. Yikes! (In our case, she's paving the way for a little brother).

Mel said...

It is amazing that high school is now like college with the choices... And they grow up way way too fast.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

She is so much her mother's daughter! Forms, papers, ducks in a row...yep!

Xandra

The Equipped Life said...

Oh, I know. I have one grown and married and one in 7th grade. I just attended a band session designed to help prepare them for high school band - and all the related schedule issues. It was just yesterday that I put him in pre-k so he could learn to share and sit in one place before going to 'real school' Whew!

Skoots1moM said...

oh, those feelings are so real...and tender. My dd is a junior and i'm having a hard time grasping that high school is almost over! I'm having to cry by myself b/c i'm already having "missing spells" about college, when she's out on a date...i'll be depending on a lot of blog time to help get through this...
i'm excited for your daughter...orchestra is great and you're going to enjoy her activities!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Feeling your bitter sweet pain! They do grow up way to fast!

Lisa Spence said...

When you find out (where it went), please, let me know!

Kelly said...

Awwww! I'm just catching up - but this is so sweet, I'm glad I didn't miss it. My baby starts kindergarten in September...so I feel slightly the same way...differently of course, but another milestone met.