Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Random on Wednesday



1. Tell me the absolute best way to watch a movie.

In my house, curled up on the couch with a bowl of hot buttery popcorn which was popped on top of the stove. And a Dr Pepper, although I can't drink them after about 2:00 in the afternoon. But that's my all-time favorite combo.

2. Do you ever think about your own funeral? If so, do you have specific ideas about how you would like it to be?

Yes and yes. Primarily, I think about songs I want sung and to be sure the pastor works in the plan of salvation.

3. Are you more of a giver or a taker?

Giver. It's actually one of my spiritual gifts.

4. Vacations: planned activities and schedules, or play it by ear?

Combo. On our trip this summer we planned some specific things we wanted to be sure to do and left other days open for random "whatever strikes our fancy" activities.

5. What is one often overlooked item in your home that needs to be cleaned regularly?

My oven. I only remember it needs cleaning when I'm going to be using it too soon to set the self-clean cycle. (Actually, there are lots of things I could answer. I'm not a very fastidious housekeeper, to say the least!)

6. Name a cause that means a lot to you.

" 'Cause I said so." Well, this makes me look like a real stick-in-the-mud, because I'm not a save-the-whales, hug-a-tree, you-name-it-a-thon type person. I guess it would be supporting the church and missions. When I hear statistics on how little people give to their church, it always surprises me. Fortunately, when I was growing up my folks considered it as crucial as paying the mortgage and utility bill. (And my dad was the church treasurer!) And when you get right down to it, I guess that's a pretty important cause!

7. Do you eat a regular old peanut butter jelly sandwich, or do you customize it? And by the way, jelly or no jelly?

My girl thinks this is totally gross, but I have to put a little butter on it. I have ever since I was a kid. Cuts down on the stickiness of the PB. And no jelly.

8. If we were having a conversation in person, how would I know if you were nervous?

I would tend to have a hard time maintaining eye contact. Some people probably think I'm trying to see what's on their desk when I talk to them in their office, but I just get really self-conscious and look down a lot.

9. Do you have an elaborate bedtime routine, or just the basics of toothbrushing and jammies?

Pretty basic - just shower, brush teeth, pills, in bed with a book.

10. Have you ever regretted something you wrote on your blog?

See #11. (But I still love ya, Lid!) No actually, at the moment nothing comes to mind. I'm hoping that's due to grace and not just a poor memory.

11. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a famous person or celebrity? Did you agree?

Sigh. Here we go again, just to give Lid a laugh in her gloomy week. Hasn't everyone heard this by now?! When I was in my 20's, I was told I resemble Ted Koppel. By my mom.


Boy, did she ever live to regret that statement!

(Hmm, wonder if that could have anything to do with the answer to #8. Ya think?!) I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Well, she sure guaranteed my grasping the "fearfully" part!

12. If you were going to dedicate a song to a loved one or friend, what would the song be and to whom would it be dedicated?

As much as I love music, I could come up with a zillion answers, but as I type this on Tuesday night, my answer is dedicated to my man. . . . .Happy Birthday to You!


Join the fun over at 2nd Cup of Coffee!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

21 comments:

quilly said...

Is it your love's birthday? Happy Birthday from me, too!

I don't think you look a thing like Ted Kopel and I hope your mom only said that because you were having a really bad hair day.

Would you make popcorn for me?

Judy said...

I don't see the resemblance to Ted. (You're welcome)

sara said...

Happy birthday to your hubby!!

Loved your answer to #6!!! made me LOL and secretly wish that I had thought of that!!

Greg C said...

#7...You and me girl. If you are ever in Charleston, drop by and we will dine on some PB and B sandwiches. Yum

#11. Not every close. How dare someone say that about you.

#12. Happy Birthday.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What is wrong with me?? I still laughed when I saw Ted here. Someday I will have to God what is up with my sense of humor. You are a good sport.

And I have a hard time with eye contact, too. I shift my eyes around a lot. Doesn't mean I don't like people or am not interested.

Great answers, my sweet friend who is definitely a giver.

Tell The Man happy birthday from Hoosierville.

Joyce said...

The oven! That's another one I could have said. Pretty much every blog I've looked at has had a different answer to this question and they all make me think, oh yeah, that too!

Happy Birthday to your husband!

Barbara H. said...

It's funny, all the participants I've read so far have preferred movies at home. Much more comfy and cozy!

I could have said the oven, too -- I do the same with realizing how much it needs cleaning just when I need to use it. I usually wait for one of the first really cold evening to run the cycle because it gets so hot.

Amen to #6. Church and missions deserve my "firstfruits."

I don't think you look like Ted at all.

Happy birthday to your hubby!!

Melli said...

ROFL! I DO think the Ted Koppel story is the funniest ever! I DO! If MY mother had said that to ME, I would have HAD to turn and say - well YOU look like Ted Koppel's MOTHER! LOL! (i woulda had to...)

I love your "cause" too! Cause I said to! LOL! It IS true people don't give enough to the church... and our Pastor does NOT like to preach on tithing! The bills get paid though... the Lord DOES provide!

Liz said...

Umm, yeah. I don't see the resemblance between you and Ted Koppel either. Ha Ha!

Although my bathtub was the answer for the overlooked thing in our house, I would have to second that on the oven. Ugh! Don't even look in my microwave! I don't know what's growing in there. {eyes rolling}

SouthLakesMom said...

Hippo Birdy to HIM!

I love your answers. This whole Ted Koppel thing is becoming funnier as it snowballs. Maybe you can you-tube it?

Have a great afternoon!

Susanne said...

Happy Birthday to your man!

Loved your answers and I'm not even to mention the Ted Koppel thing. Nope not even gonna mention it. ;v)

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time with eye contact too if I don't know you. Must be a Linda thing. ; )

Kim said...

Especially love your answer to #6 -- we always love it when people have a tradition of giving generously to missions.

When you get done with your oven, why not fly down and clean mine? :-)

Brook said...

I too cannot drink soda after 2pm. I had an iced coffee about 4 today...oops!

Oh, I forgot about my oven...I need to clean mine too!

A Stone Gatherer said...

That was great fun to read Linda! I have to tell you I saw myself so much in alot of your answers! The butter on a peanut butter sandwich though I have to agree with your daughter! I was told a couple of times I look like Sandy Patti! Sure wish I could sing like her!!!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Popcorn on the stove...mmmmmmm. Our microwave waved goodbye about a year ago, and we never replaced it. So popcorn on the stove is all we make!

And I would say that your answer to #6 is a total reflection of the spiritual gift you mentioned in #3! I'll bet you didn't even know you did that! :-)

OH, and the oven...forgot about that one too. Thanks for the reminder...my kitchen is FREEZING this morning, so maybe I'll turn on the self-clean and warm up the room at the same time!

Deven said...

I wish my bathtub had a self-clean feature. I know what you mean about the timing with the oven, though.

Beverlydru said...

I enjoyed reading your responses. When I've looked at these memes and considered joining in, I could just picture writing a 1500 word essay for some wierd reason. You were succint - a fun post.

Anonymous said...

Well I just have to say I see NO resemblance to Ted Koppel. Does your mom wear glasses? Did she have them on at the time? Just curious. :)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

You DO NOT look like Ted Koppel.

I like your answers -- probably because a lot of them were like mine :)

Celeste said...

It is very reassuring to hear that there is someone else out there who forgets to clean the oven until they come to use it!