Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 13th - One Year Ago

One year ago today, Hurricane Ike hit Galveston on the Texas coast. One year ago, my man spent that weekend camped out at the Alzheimer's center in Houston with his mom as they helped care for his dad in the midst of leaking windows, power outages, and inadequate staffing due to Ike.

And one year ago today, I held my mother's hands for the last time as she quietly slipped into eternity.

It seems like yesterday. It also seems like ages ago.

As impatient as I sometimes am to peek into the future, this year and this song remind me of the blessing of walking one step at a time.

IF WE COULD SEE BEYOND TODAY
Norman J. Clayton

If we could see beyond today
As God can see,
If all the clouds should roll away,
The shadows flee;

O'er present griefs we would not fret,
Each sorrow we would soon forget,
For many joys are waiting yet
For you and me.

If we could know beyond today
As God doth know,
Why dearest treasures pass away,
And tears must flow;

And why the darkness leads to light,
Why dreary days will soon grow bright,
Some day life's wrong will be made right,
Faith tells us so.

If we could see, if we could know
We often say,
But God in love a veil doth throw
Across our way.

We cannot see what lies before,
And so we cling to Him the more,
He leads us till this life is o'er,
Trust and obey.

Because of the LORD's great love
we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23


Photobucket

View blog reactions

4 comments:

Quilly said...

Linda, you just left me with tears in my eyes mourning your mother. The love the two of you shared was a precious gift. I am glad you don't take it for granted.

sara said...

Praying for you today, Linda. I love this song. I spent yesterday at a prayer summit. It ended with communion and all of us gathered around the communion table singing our praise to God. I could almost feel the throngs in heaven joining us and in my minds eye could see my Aunt singing along with us....beautiful. Oh, what we have to look forward to!!!

Kim said...

What a sweet, reflective post this morning...September is a tender time for me as well, and as I look back, I'm thankful for the words you've shared this morning. Lord bless you as you continue in your journey to peace...one step at a time. :)

Blessings!
Kim

Beverlydru said...

I've been pondering your words from your son's 16th birthday post about the passage of time.What changes in just one year. Hugs to you. I'm quoting you in tomorrow's post. : )