Saturday, September 5, 2009

TSMSS - My Savior First of All

I have wanted to post this song for quite some time, but hadn't found a rendition I especially liked until this one was uploaded just a few days ago. I absolutely love tight harmony, especially of male quartets. And the words of this song are so incredible, as is the story behind them.

You may be familiar with the story of the prolific hymn-writer Fanny Crosby, who became blind at 6 weeks of age due to a substitute "doctor's" incorrect treatment of an eye infection when the family physician was unavailable. Yet she had such a precious spirit. I've always loved the poem she wrote when she was eight years old:
Oh, what a happy child I am,
Although I cannot see!
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be!
How many blessings I enjoy
That other people don't!
So weep or sigh because I'm blind,
I cannot - nor I won't.
One time a minister commented to her that it was such a pity that God had given her so many gifts yet had not allowed her to see.

Fanny's response was "If at birth I had been able to make one petition to my Creator, it would have been that I should be born blind. Because when I get to heaven, the first sight that shall ever gladden my eyes will be that of my Savior!"

She wrote more than 8000 hymns and gospel songs, and the themes of heaven and Christ's return resound through many of them.

SOURCE: Amazing Grace: 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions by Kenneth W. Osbeck, Kregel Publications, 2002

Although this video recently was placed on YouTube, it was recorded a number of years ago by these four brothers. The one on the far left is Buddy Mullins, who was a member of the Gaither Vocal Band in the mid 1990's.


MY SAVIOR FIRST OF ALL

When my life work is ended, and I cross the swelling tide,
When the bright and glorious morning I shall see;
I shall know my Redeemer when I reach the other side,
And His smile will be the first to welcome me.

REFRAIN:
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
And redeemed by His side I shall stand,
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
By the print of the nails in His hand.


Oh, the soul thrilling rapture when I view His blessèd face,
And the luster of His kindly beaming eye;
How my full heart will praise Him for the mercy, love and grace,
That prepare for me a mansion in the sky.

Oh, the dear ones in glory, how they beckon me to come,
And our parting at the river I recall;
To the sweet vales of Eden they will sing my welcome home;
But I long to meet my Savior first of all.

Through the gates to the city in a robe of spotless white,
He will lead me where no tears will ever fall;
In the glad song of ages I shall mingle with delight;
But I long to meet my Savior first of all.

WORDS: Fanmy J. Crosby, 1891
MUSIC: William R. Sweney, 1891

Stop by Amy's for more songs!

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

13 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

It's been some time since I've heard this song. Loved it. Their voices harmonize so well together. Thank you for sharing the story behind the words. It's amazing to learn about Fannie's life. The first One she sees in heaven is Jesus. Wow!

Hazel said...

I'm also after harmony this week. This quartet is excellent! Thanks for mentioning Fanny Crosby. I've forgotten she's blind, and it's nice to hear her story again - so blessed, so talented.

Cindy said...

I love the older hymns. My family sometimes catches me watching The Gaithers, etc. on t.v. and they tease me but the reason is not that I'm a southern gospel fan as much as that they sing the old hymns that I grew up with. Our church does mostly contemporary praise music but whenever the music leader throws in a hymn you can see a difference in the congregation as they recognize something from their childhood or younger days. The elderly people especially perk up.

Cathy said...

I've seen that video before and I love that rendition of this song. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa notes... said...

I love tight harmonies, too, and these men definitely have it down pat. I love the Fanny Crosby story, too. Thanks for sharing.

Sita said...

Linda,
How beautiful this is..thanks for the bio on Fanny Crosby...wow, what a precious heart she had...anointed by God so early in her life....have a great weekend...

hip chick said...

What a beautiful song and story. I love hearing the "back story" to some of the older hymns.

annies home said...

I love this old song as it was one of my daddy's favorites as well I can only imagine when I see him face to face and the love that is allready in my heart will be magnified in his presenced

sara said...

I love that poem! and Fanny's story always brings me a smile.

beautiful hymn!

Cathy said...

I love to hear the men sing in harmony too, Linda. That was a great song. And Fanny Crosby had such a wonderful gift from the Lord.

Marina@EBMR said...

I haven't heard this one before but this was beautiful.

http://energizerbunnysmommyreports.blogspot.com/2009/09/then-sings-my-soul-saturday-95.html

A Stone Gatherer said...

Another amazing song I remember from my youth! Fanny Crosby was amazing! To have her faith! WoW!

Rebecca said...

This is one of my favorite songs - but then I say that about a lot of 'em! I've listened to it 3 times and forwarded it to my brother. He and his sons sing close harmony. I can almost close my eyes and hear them sing THIS one.