Saturday, October 10, 2009

Peace

The breaking news early Friday morning was the announcement that President Obama had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. This is not a political blog so I will refrain from stating my opinions on this announcement. (Although it's oh-so-tempting!) Suffice it to say, though, that to paraphrase the old song from Urban Cowboy, the world is looking for peace in all the wrong places. I couldn't help but think of these verses. . . .

10 To whom can I speak and give warning?
Who will listen to Me?
Their ears are closed
so they cannot hear.
The word of the LORD is offensive to them;
they find no pleasure in it.

13 From the least to the greatest,
all are greedy for gain;
prophets and priests alike,
all practice deceit.

14 They dress the wound of My people
as though it were not serious.
'Peace, peace,' they say,
when there is no peace.

15 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct?
No, they have no shame at all;
they do not even know how to blush.
So they will fall among the fallen;
they will be brought down when I punish them,"
says the LORD.

16 This is what the LORD says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls."

Jeremiah 6:10, 13-16

6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.

Isaiah 9:6-7

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

You will keep in perfect peace
him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in You.

Isaiah 26:3

This is one of my favorite old hymns about peace. I couldn't find a version I liked where it was sung, but Dino's piano artistry has long been what I turn to for quiet and peaceful reflection. He plays two verses, each followed by a chorus, so feel free to sing along!



WONDERFUL PEACE

Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestrial-like strains it unceasingly falls
O’er my soul like an infinite calm.

CHORUS
Peace! Peace! Wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above,
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray,
In fathomless billows of love.


What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace
Buried deep in the heart of my soul
So secure that no power can mine it away
While the years of eternity roll!

I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus’ control,
For I’m kept from all danger by night and by day-
And His glory is flooding my soul.

And I think when I rise to that city of peace
Where the Author of peace I shall see
That one strain of the song which the ransomed will sing
In that heavenly kingdom will be

Ah, soul! are you here without comfort and rest
Marching down the rough pathway of time?
Make Jesus your Friend ere the shadows grow dark
O accept of this peace so sublime!

WORDS: Warren D. Cornell, 1889
MUSIC: W. George Cooper, 1889

You can find more songs at Amy's!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

14 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks so much for those wonderful verses, Dino's music and the words, Linda. I love his music, and his peace CD is so pretty. I need to find that music, around here somewhere.

Debbie Petras said...

What soothing music to my soul. I have to say I probably had a similar reaction to this news about the Nobel Peace prize. However, I shouldn't be surprised as the world views peace. It's not true peace at all. That can only be found in a personal relationship with the Lord.

Thank you for posting this music. I bought one of Dino's CDs years ago for a friend but have never listened much to him myself. I really enjoy this type of music.

Blessings,
Debbie

Mary said...

What a beautiful version of this precious song. I sat here tonight with my granddaughter, listening to it, and it touched us both. As far as the peace prize, I thought I would no longer be astounded at the turn of events happening in our nation, but that one took me completely by surprise. Our only peace is in Him, and I think we are finally realizing that there is no other source of security, not even our country. It is time to draw very close to our Lord, and bring as many with us as possible.

God bless,
Mary

JLaine said...

what wonderful compilation of verses about PEACE. The music is soothing to the ears too though I'm not so familiar with the hymn. Thanks for sharing!

Have a blessed weekend!

Lalaine's World
From Asia and Beyond
Day to Day Miracles
Trying to be Fit
Not a Shopaholic

MsRay said...

Thanks for posting the song, Linda. I was nostalgic while listening to the music. I was a member of the Ladies Trio in our church back home in the Philippines and "Wonderful Peace" was one of our Trio's songs.

quilly said...

Mortals can't achieve peace without God, no matter how hard we try. This is one of my favorite songs.

sara said...

great post!

and it is very tempting to comment on yesterday's announcement...

Karen said...

I have always loved this hymn...our only true peace...that is everlasting....

A Stone Gatherer said...

I'm with you girl, 100%!!! And I also love this old song!!!

Lisa notes... said...

I love beautiful piano music, and coupled with a message of God's peace - heavenly. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

There are no words that even adequately express yesterday's 'surprise!'
Beautiful music and lyrics, thanks so much for sharing....
Thank you so much for stopping by today.
We must keep looking to the Lord for though Him, all things are possible...

Hugs and Blessings,
Lynn♥

~Let Freedom Ring!~

Cathy said...

I love this old hymn and I love to hear Dino play it. Thank your for sharing the song and the scripture.

Anonymous said...

Wow...thank you for a words that I really needed to hear...

Sarah said...

What a wonderful peace we have in Jesus.
Blessings to you.

Thanks for the visit.