Monday, June 14, 2010

Long May She Wave

It's Flag Day.

On June 14, 1777, the Continental Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as the flag of the new United States of America. Sporadic celebrations occurred throughout the years, and on May 30, 1916 Flag Day was officially established by Proclamation by President Woodrow Wilson. On August 3, 1949, President Harry Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14 of each year as Flag Day. (Source: www.usaflag.org)




Photobucket

View blog reactions

5 comments:

Joyce said...

I love this-think I'll post the youtube video on my facebook today. Thanks for sharing!

Skoots1moM said...

thx 4 reminding me...heading out to put my flag up!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Well, I completely didn't realize that today was Flag Day b4 I read this. Thanks! I'll go tell my kids. :)

Cathy said...

I love our flag! Thanks for the reminder.

quilly said...

Amen! We talked about this being Flag Day, but none of us got up to post!