Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Random Things are FALL-ing All Around

A few random ravings thoughts of my own before the planned Random Dozen.

(Can it be random and planned at the same time?!)

I've mentioned some of this on FB to my IRL friends, and I'd certainly hate for you not to have the opportunity to sigh with me:

I love this headline I saw the other day: Is it Possible to be Astonished but Not Surprised?

Among the things that make me astonished but not surprised: How can kids get all the way through high school and not be taught the parts of speech? No wonder they don't know that a preposition is not for ending a sentence with! They don't even know what a preposition is. Yeah, I know the schools teach what's going to be on the state's standardized test, but that makes it even worse: Why aren't parts of speech one of the TEKS? (Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills - the bible of the Texas Board of Education) I am so glad my eighth grade English teacher made us diagram sentences all year. That was outdated even then, but she was a stickler and it was one of the best things I ever learned.

The other day I had an appointment with my dermatologist. It was a bit disconcerting to be treated in the same visit for acne and age spots! I guess that's why it's called middle age!

At least this time he didn't give me the brochure about barnacles of old age!

Am I the only person not in love with Natalie Grant's new song Human? I appreciate what she's trying to convey in the gist of the song which is part of her efforts to bring attention to/stop human trafficking. But the song (written by Jordin Sparks) could use some help from the lyrics department on the chorus:

I'm human, you're human, we are
We are human
I'm human, you're human, we are
We are human

And as usually happens with songs that annoy me, it tends to get stuck in my brain.

Okay, enough grousing - on to the magnificent First Day of Fall Random Dozen!


1. Have you, or has someone close to you, ever won an award for anything? (I just came from my dad's ceremony wherein he was given a medal of honor by the French government for service in France in WWII. Pictures to follow.)

I won my kids' elementary school Volunteer of the Year one year. I got the Math Award in ninth grade.

My uncle had a purple heart and a couple of other medals from WWII. He never talked about them much or had them displayed, so I was stunned when I saw them in a display at his funeral.

2. Who is the nearest relative to you who has served in the US Military?

My dad was a Navy Seabee in World War II. And my uncle was in the army.

3. Share something that stirs the patriotic spirit in you.

The flag. Songs, especially ones like this:



4. Where are you in the birth order in your family? Do you think your "placement" made a difference in your personality?

Last. Somewhat, although I'm a strange mixture since my siblings are so much older and I was an only child from the time I was 11. I have some characteristics of a last child and some of a first/only child.

5. Name one trait you hope you carry that was evidenced in your parents or grandparents.

Integrity.

6. If female, do you prefer wearing a skirt or pants? If male, shirt and tie or polo?

Pants. I love seeing how much more common skirts/dresses are now, but my folks made us wear dresses so much that it sorta turned me the other way, and for casual days I usually wear pants without even thinking about it.

7. Approximately how many times do you wake during the night? What do you do to go back to sleep?

It's rare that I don't wake up at all, but most of the time it's just once. Of course, sometimes that "once" can be an hour or more. I usually pray, think of a soothing song, or sometimes get my iPod and listen to some soft piano hymns. There are a couple of CD's that I rarely get past the first couple of songs before I'm out.

8. Share a favorite movie quote.

I'm sure Lid is hoping to see some musical excerpts, so I'll indulge her!

"Oh dear Lord, you made many, many poor people. I realize, of course, it's no shame to be poor. But it's no great honor, either! So what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?" (Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof)



9. What is your favorite Fall candle scent?

Cinnamon.

10. What is one Fall activity you're looking forward to?

Thanksgiving.

11. Tell us about a pleasant surprise that happened to you recently.

I can't think of one.

12. What was it like when you first met your in-laws-to-be?

I was a bit nervous. The worst part was that I got what I thought was a sinus headache but which I now realize was a migraine. We went to a Mexican restaurant that was possibly the loudest one I've ever been to. I thought my head was going to crack open.

The time I was more nervous than that was when we introduced our parents to each other. The six of us went out to dinner. It turned out to be just fine, but we were both a little nervous how our dads would react: my dad was an orange-blooded Texas Longhorn fan and his dad was an avid Texas Aggie. Fortunately, the fact that they were both Christians helped them get along just fine. We just never combined families during Thanksgiving weekend, when the annual UT-A&M football game is always played.


I'd love to hear your random answers - link up over at Lid's 2nd Cup of Coffee!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

14 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

How fun this post is Linda. I loved reading each one of your answers.

Jill said...

#12 made me smile! You had some great answers.

SusanD said...

What? I think those would be great combined family Thanksgivings! Nothing like a good football rivalry. lol. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

I didn't play this week, but loved your answers. I grew up in the 60's and until we were in the 3rd grade, we weren't allowed to wear pants. So of course, that's my favorite. My bro-in-law told me that if women knew how much better we all look in dresses, we'd never wear pants again. I resisted the urge to choke him and call him a MCP!

Teresa Dawn said...

I said Thanksgiving too :) Less than 3 weeks away out here.

Melli said...

When they graduated my eldest daughter out of High School and she didn't know how to properly punctuate a sentence I FOUGHT them tooth and nail! I spent an hour in her principle's office RANTING (the first 15 minutes) about the poor quality of education that my child received in this county and wondering HOW they could send children off into the world like that??? He fully agreed with me but explained that the rules and emphasis of education had all changed when the Russians started to out-perform us in science, and the Japanese started to out-perform us in math - and then our government put new stipulations on what was "necessary" to be taught in our schools... and THAT was almost 20 years ago I fought that battle - and it hasn't changed to this day!

Now ... onto your randomness...

I LOVE Fiddler on the Roof - but I never saw the movie - only the play... at the Warner, I believe. The music is FABULOUS though!

Some basic Christianity would have been SUCH a help when meeting my in-laws... and in their entire lives. I'm glad BOTH your families had some!

Kathy said...

Good answers! I wonder what would have happened if you had ever had both families over on Thanksgiving...

Barbara H. said...

I can see how that might be a touchy meeting of parents but for the grace of God!

My answer to #7 is similar.

Cathy said...

Great answers! I love that song "Let Freedom Ring" by the Gaithers. Awesome!

bp said...

Enjoyed reading your answers! That's funny about family Thanksgiving.

Look forward to reading the prompt tomorrow!!

Sue said...

Had to giggle at #12. I can just imagine the "rivalry" between the two Dads - hee hee

Great answers... from one baby to another ;-)

Lisa Laree said...

I shouldna clicked through on that link. I could've gone all day without learning that the moles I had taken off my back a few weeks ago were 'Barnacles of Old Age'... ;-)

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Always enjoy my stops by here. Loved, loved "Fiddler on the Roof" and glad you brought it to my mind. I haven't thought about it in years.

Blessings for a wonderful rest of the week!

Joyce said...

I'm just telling you that sometimes on these RD memes you and I are sharing a brain. Today is definitely one of those days. So of course I love your answers : ) And truly, I could have written your first paragraph too!