Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Silent Wednesday Hodgepodge


Joyce has lost her voice and can't talk. Fortunately, she can type so the Hodgepodge is up and running today! Leave a comment here and then head on over to Joyce's blog to join the fun and tell her to feel better quickly! No germs allowed in cyberspace!

1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly. Is he right?

Not even a little bit. That's just a rationalization for bad behavior.

2. Are you a cereal eater? What's your favorite kind?

I eat a bowl every morning because it's quick and easy, not because I'm that huge of a fan. Right now I like Cascadian Farms Hearty Morning Fiber.

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles). She did not have the gun with her at school.

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record. The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts? (If you missed the story click here for details).


Did these people not ever play Cowboys and Native Americans (!) when they were kids?! Next are we going to ban water guns? Puh-lease.

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?

Common sense! (see #3 above)

5. January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil. Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive? This date was chosen because it's the birthdate of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?

I like my handwriting when I take the time to make it neat. Mine is sort of a combination of printing and cursive. Because I hate the cursive "r" and "s", among other letters. And upper case F.

The last place I signed my name was paperwork at a lab.

6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?

Never been. Not really on my list.

7. Share something funny you've heard a child say.

Years ago we had a firetruck themed party for my boy's third birthday. Our local fire department actually sent a truck out and the fireman put on his gear and explained it to the kids. They said they like doing that sort of thing to help the kids get used to the firefighters in their masks and helmets so they won't be so scared of them if they have to be rescued. They would have given my boy a ride in the fire truck but he was a bit shy. (It was a small family party with about 3 other families who had kids his age. You should have seen the dads' expressions when they found out a fire truck was on its way!)

ANYWAY, a week or two after the party my boy was playing and he had an airplane in his hand and he stretched his arm up to "fly" the airplane in for a landing and I heard him say, "And when I have my airplane birthday party, the airplane will land on my street."

Moral: Be careful what you start!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Addendum to #4 Whatever happened to proper etiquette?

There's been a lot of speculation about what caused Michelle Obama to roll her eyes during the inauguration lunch on Monday.

What no one seems to have noticed or pointed out was that the First Lady had her left elbow on the table while she was eating those last few bites.

Now I'm not a snooty prim and proper Southern belle, but I was taught proper manners. And your behavior at a major event is not the same as it would be at a casual meal at home or a friend's house.

Somehow, I can't quite picture Laura Bush, Nancy Reagan--or to be bipartisan, Lady Bird Johnson or Jackie Kennedy--in that same scenario. Either the elbows or the eye rolling.

But then they probably wouldn't have pointed out someone else's faux pas on their blog either. LOL



Photobucket

View blog reactions

7 comments:

April said...

I'll have to check out that video...I must have missed it. It's funny that I wrote something about the inauguration, too, today.

Jill said...

I agree with your random thought. And if you ever have that airplane party, I want an invite! : )

Cathy said...

Interesting #8! And I totally agree.

Robin Lambright said...

common sense wins I think!!!


Now I have to go find out what she was rolling her eyes ab out...


R

Anonymous said...

I just love your son's comment about the airplane landing on his street! How funny!

BTW, I received your email and am looking forward to the extra goodies you are sending. Thank you for your thoughtfulness!!! I think it's wonderful that I can put clean books in my classroom for students to read.

Hugs!

Joyce said...

I feel like dignity is lacking with this admin. I will leave it at that : )

Madonna said...

I agree completely with #8 and #3 and #4.