Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Super Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's time once again to join Joyce for the Hodgepodge. This is one of my favorite parts of the week. It's always fun to see what questions she comes up with. Join in the fun - after you leave a comment here, of course!

1. In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49's in the Superbowl. What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?

The Christy Awards. I still can't believe I've gotten to attend two times. Talk about a dream event for a lover of Christian fiction!

2. Share something you're a fan of these days?

Dark chocolate-covered almonds and dark chocolate-covered coffee beans.

3. How do you feel about wings? In case anyone is confused, I'm talking the edible appetizer kind. What's your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other? Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?

I've hated wings ever since I was a kid.

4. As long as we're talking sports today...have you followed the Lance Armstrong story? Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?.

Since he's right here in Central Texas, it's kinda hard not to follow Lance. I watched most of the interview with Oprah. I've had a burden for years for him to find Jesus. After his battle with cancer, an interviewer asked him if he thought God had healed him and he was very dismissive. I grieved for him then and I grieve for him now. But I don't think God is finished with him yet, although if he continues to reject Christ, he may lose his chances. His ex-wife, Kristin, is a strong Christian and he has a lot of respect for her, and she still influences him.

As far as the sincerity of his confession, I don't think he has the ability to be completely sincere until he is willing to listen to the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

5. What's a question you hate to be asked?

What's your favorite book?

6. The coaches in this Sunday's big game happen to be real life brothers. Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er's and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens. Were you and your sibling(s) competitive? In what way? Are you still? If you're an only child how did you handle competition growing up?

Oh yes. I was competitive with them always trying to "catch" up because they were so much older. Then one sister and I were always hugely competitive in Scrabble. I've really missed our games since she's developed Alzheimer's Disease. And while I've mellowed some, I still love to win games! But how competitive I am depends on who I'm playing.

7. What's your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?

Jacks - and the last time was probably with my girl when she was in elementary - or maybe middle - school! I am sooo not athletic and try to avoid games with balls!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Painting is not my forte. The other gals from our church staff had a "girls day out" yesterday at a local art studio. It's one of those places where the instructor demonstrates step by step as you each paint the same picture on your canvas. Our "assignment" was to paint three sunflowers - a larger focal one and then two partial ones off to the sides and bottoms of the canvas. My three looked more like a sunflower, a bunch of bananas, and a flame.

Words are my friends. Paints, notsomuch.



Photobucket

View blog reactions

9 comments:

Sr. Ann Marie said...

I loved your comment that God isn't finished with Lance Armstrong yet. I think that can be said of each of us. Your answer on playing jacks touched a fond memory in me. My grandmother taught me to play jacks and used to play with me all the time when I was a child. Thanks for the memory!

bp said...

I have a FB friend who has posted several paintings she has done at those type of classes. It looks like such fun, I wonder if mine would even look right! I keep forgetting to look and see if they offer those classes here.

April said...

Painting isn't for me, either. I can't even draw a stick figure!

retired not tired said...

I am not into painting either. I would have sent my hubby since he is better at.

Cathy said...

Good answer to the Lance Armstrong question.

Jacks...I loved playing that as a kid. My girls never got into it.

Well I know this much, I sure don't offer you much competition when playing Words with Friends. haha

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved your take on Lance Armstong and your painting experience. I am with you there...painting is not my forte either. I went once to humor a friend. I am glad she never asked me to go back.

Jill said...

Your random made me laugh because that is so me! Congratulations for going through with it--I would never have had the courage to.

I'd love to go to the Christy's! Maybe someday.

Joyce said...

Jacks-wow! Do kids still play jacks? We loved them when I was growing up, but I haven't seen them in recent years.

Tami said...

I'm excited to be doing these random questions again on my blog! Loved what you said about Lance Armstrong and laughed at your random painting comment.

Hope you are doing well!
Tami from Tree Swing Reading