Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Spoiler Alert: Wednesday Hodgepodge Ahead!


1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-

fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.


Most of the time, it's not so much the words/phrases themselves that I hate; it's the overuse. (Although some of them are just bad grammar, like double down!) I'm pretty sick of fiscal cliff. And YOLO.

2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?

A real train was a few years ago when we were on vacation in Tennessee, I think it was. Seems like it was about a 30-45 minute ride. We weren't going anywhere; it was an old railroad tour.

3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?

Yes. Plain or cinnamon raisin, toasted, with regular cream cheese.

4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?

The Sound of Music, of course!

5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?

I think people spend an awful lot of energy coming up with gimmicks to change the education system instead of just making sure the teachers actually teach something. I am pretty amazed that I have a senior in high school that hasn't been taught some pretty basic things. There's no time to teach because they have to test and meet a bunch of silly criteria.

6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?

Breakfast. And clean sheets and towels.

7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?

No, I don't do resolutions, words, or any of that.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

YOLO is bad enough but my girl was really horrified last week when she came home with the packet to order her graduation gown and they had all the other junk options the students could order. "Who came up with all this YOGO stuff? What do they mean, You Only Graduate Once?! I'm going to graduate from college! And I graduated from preschool and elementary and middle school!" One whole page was full of YOGO products - T-shirts, backpack, "a YOGO slap bracelet?! Do they think we're five years old?!"

Apologies to any of you whose child might have ordered some of this stuff, but I was pretty impressed that she recognizes that her high school graduation is not the pinnacle of her life!



Photobucket

View blog reactions

11 comments:

Jill said...

You have a very smart daughter! And it's clear you're doing a good job raising her. I'm amazed at how many high school seniors think they're at the pinnacle of their life and that everything is all about them!

Joyce said...

I have never heard the 'word' yolo spoken. Maybe it's more of a teen thing? I agree with your sentiments in #5-how about we concentrate on teaching? I think teachers generally want to teach, use their creativity, get their students excited about learning, but they are road blocked all along the way by so much ridiculousness. Is ridiculousness a word? I'm using it anyway : )

Anonymous said...

YOGO? Really?? LOL Things like this just makes me laugh now. So stupid!

Skoots1moM said...

i agree with joyce...
today's environment of entitlement and overly-padded self esteems continues to dumb us down and encourage weakness in my opinion. give teachers the right to correct, punish and run their class rooms with common sense, not the usual "i'm afraid we'll get sued' mentality"

April said...

First YOLO and now YOGO? Ok...I can't take much more of this nonsense!

bp said...

I had never heard YOLO. The YOGO stuff sounds pretty ridiculous to me too!

I agree with you on the random stuff people come up with that is more and more keeping teachers from teaching.

Mary said...

That's one reason why I think preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, and middle school graduations are for the birds. It takes away from that big event: high school graduation. That is a huge event in a young person's life; bigger for some than others. But...good for her for realizing all of those products are a bit ridiculous!

Cathy said...

The Sound of Music...great choice.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Sound of Music - awesome choice. I agree with you about the YOGO stuff...it is just another way to make kids buy junk they don't need.

retired not tired said...

Graduations have certainly changed since I went to school. Of course I am a senior.

J.Day said...

I completely agree with your #5.