1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
Most of the time, it's not so much the words/phrases themselves that I hate; it's the overuse. (Although some of them are just bad grammar, like double down!) I'm pretty sick of fiscal cliff. And YOLO.
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
A real train was a few years ago when we were on vacation in Tennessee, I think it was. Seems like it was about a 30-45 minute ride. We weren't going anywhere; it was an old railroad tour.
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
Yes. Plain or cinnamon raisin, toasted, with regular cream cheese.
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
The Sound of Music, of course!
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
I think people spend an awful lot of energy coming up with gimmicks to change the education system instead of just making sure the teachers actually teach something. I am pretty amazed that I have a senior in high school that hasn't been taught some pretty basic things. There's no time to teach because they have to test and meet a bunch of silly criteria.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Breakfast. And clean sheets and towels.
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
No, I don't do resolutions, words, or any of that.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
YOLO is bad enough but my girl was really horrified last week when she came home with the packet to order her graduation gown and they had all the other
Apologies to any of you whose child might have ordered some of this stuff, but I was pretty impressed that she recognizes that her high school graduation is not the pinnacle of her life!
View blog reactions