Friday, January 11, 2013

Why So Distraught?

Yesterday's news regarding the withdrawal of Louie Giglio from the inaugural ceremony has led to a flurry of statements and articles by pastors, theologians, journalists, activists, pundits, and regular folks. Chalk up another one here.

I've read a couple of commentaries that have made some excellent points. Among them are Dr. Albert Mohler's The Giglio Imbroglio--The Public Inauguration of a New Moral McCarthyism and Russell D. Moore's Louie Giglio and the New State Church

I've also read a lot of comments and reactions from professed Christians that concern me. Why do we get so angry over something like this? Are we really that insecure? Or desperate for approval from the world?

Seems like I remember a man like Jesus that was uninvited a few places. His message wasn't very popular either. Matter of fact, He was pretty straight-forward in promising those who followed Him that life was not going to be easy. Yet He told them to rejoice and be thankful when opposition and persecution came, because it meant they were following Him and sharing in His sufferings. Paul's message was much the same.

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matthew 5:11-12)

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. (2 Timothy 3:12-13)

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. (Romans 12:14)

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. (I Peter 4:12-16)

Even Stephen said Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him—you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it.” (Acts 7:52-53)

(And right after he said that, they stoned him to death!)

I'm certainly not advocating passivity. But it seems to me, and I think Scripture bears this out, that Satan and the folks who would rather listen to his lies than repent wouldn't be so hateful and opposed to the Christian message if it wasn't having an impact!

So why should Christians get upset? We should rejoice! We've made the enemy mad! Put on the full armor of God. We know we've won the war!

I've met Louie Giglio and am familiar enough with his teaching that I don't think he's having a pity party over what happened. He'd tell us to join Chris Tomlin in singing this great new song from Tomlin's brand-new CD!

I know Who goes before me
I know Who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side
The One who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side
(Whom Shall I Fear, Chris Tomlin
from the Burning Lights CD)







Photobucket

View blog reactions

3 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Such a great post! I as believer's, part of us knows that truth and the other part wants desperately to make America into something it's not. It's hard to watch it happen, but it's not surprising, and it all works towards God's end goal.

My hope is not in America, and if it does the "right" thing. It's in Christ. All of this is such a reminder that this world is not my home...just passing through.

Cindy said...

Good points, Linda. I just read about this today.

Cathy said...

Excellent Linda and thanks for the song. Plan to put that on my iPod when I get home.