Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Healthy Appetizer!

I'm traveling with my girl for her college New Student Retreat so I thought I'd share a favorite recipe. I hadn't made it in quite a while until I took it to a fellowship for my our Sunday Bible Fellowship group a week or two ago. It was a hit! Southern Living is always my go-to place for top-notch recipes!

SOUTHWESTERN SALSA WITH
BLACK BEANS AND CORN

Fix this ahead of time to allow the flavors to meld.

1 ½ tsp. cumin seeds
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ¼ ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 red pepper, minced
1 small purple onion, minced (1 cup)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 c. lime juice
1/4 c. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Toast cumin seeds in a skillet over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until brown and fragrant, stirring often. Combine cumin seeds, black beans, and remaining ingredients; toss well. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Yield 6 cups.

Per tablespoon: Calories 18 Fat 0.7 g (Before you spoon it onto the tortilla chips!)

From The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook



Photobucket

View blog reactions

No comments: