Saturday, February 28, 2009

TSMSS - Revisiting an Old Favorite

One of the advantages of getting old not being the youngest one on the block is the enjoyment of experiences and memories that occurred when some of you blogging babes were wee things - or maybe not even born!

In my weekly search for songs each week to feature here, I've encountered many of those memories! I've posted quite a of the old hymns sung by groups that perform with the Gaithers on their Homecoming series and also with the Gaither Vocal Band. The recent release of the Gaither Vocal Band Reunion, Volume 1 and Gaither Vocal Band Reunion, Volume 2 took me back quite a few years to 1980 and 1981. I remember when the group first formed when I was in college! In fact, back then it was called The New Gaither Vocal Band. (They dropped the "new" around 1985.)

And the tenor in the very first group was none other than. . . .Steve Green! (I remember hearing him perform with the Gaithers and also when he was getting his start as a soloist performing in individual churches.) The initial group was comprised of Bill Gaither, Lee Young, Steve Green, and Gary McSpadden. Jon Mohr soon joined the group when Lee Young left. (Later, in 1983 when Steve Green moved on to his solo career, Larnelle Harris became the group's tenor for 4 years!)

Here is a song that was on The New Gaither Vocal Band's second album (Passin' the Faith Along), recorded on the Reunion DVD by the group that originally sang it: Steve Green, Jon Mohr, Gary McSpadden (one of the composers of the song) and Bill Gaither. This has always been one of my favorite classic GVB songs - what an incredible truth: No Other Name But Jesus!





NO OTHER NAME

Above His name there is no other name,
The One Who is eternally the same,
There is no other name.
The first and last, beginning and the end,
He was the King who made the common man His friend.
There is no other name.
Let every tongue proclaim,
And sing the name of Jesus
Magnify and praise the name of Jesus,
No other name but Jesus.
There is power in the precious name of Jesus, Jesus
Messiah, King of kings and Lord of lords, Jesus.

He created all that is with His own hands.
And yet your smallest need He understands
There is no other name.
The One Who said ”I am the great I AM.”
And then He gave Himself a sacrifice for man.
There is no other name.
Let every tongue proclaim,
And sing the name of Jesus.
Magnify and praise the name of Jesus,
No other name but Jesus
There is power in the precious name of Jesus, Jesus.
Forever He shall reign as King of kings.
He’s Lord of all and every living thing.
From now on we’ll worship Him
And praise the name of Jesus.

Written by Gary McSpadden/Billy Smiley/Chris Christian, 1983
Be sure to go by Amy's blog for more songs to bless your weekend!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

15 comments:

Karen said...

Just beautiful! Such timeless words about that precious Name!

I am a not so young blogger myself. My oldest son was born in 1980...so, yeah, I am that old. There are always wonderful songs to be found with new ones coming out every day, but I do so enjoy hearing some of the older ones that still mean so much! Thank you for sharing this one today.

Darlene said...

Beautiful song! There is no other name... JESUS!!!
Just the mention of His name!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Darlene

Jennifer said...

Such a beautiful, old time favorite! There is no other name but Jesus. At the name of Jesus...every knee will bow in heaven, on earth and beneath the earth. Every tongue will confess that He is Lord and there is No Other Name, But Jesus! Wow! There is power in the Name of Jesus!

Thank you for sharing this amazing and beautiful song today.

Happy TSMSS!

Cathy said...

Oh, Linda , that is just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite songs. Thanks for the blessing today.

Sweet Blessings said...

I sang this once in school during Sharing Chapel. I guess that means I am old enough to have heard it-lol! Blessings:) Amanda

Beth in NC said...

That is so beautiful. I used to watch the Gather specials on TV a lot in the early 90's.

Bless you!
Beth

Tammy said...

Beautiful words and a name that is above all others ~ thank you for sharing this beautiful song!

Anonymous said...

I love "flashback" music. Takes you back to where you were and what you were thinking and feeling when you heard it the first time. I've got another deja vu post up for TSMSS this week. Good stuff!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Did we ever talk about the fact that the Gaithers are just "up the road a piece" from me? Their studio, little coffee shop, etc.

Deborah said...

I really like this song. Steve Green performed at our chapel not long again. I forgot that he's been around for a while. Thanks for sharing.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Am I the only one that has noticed that Bill's hair NEVER changes???

Xandra

A Stone Gatherer said...

Through your posts I relive memories too! Just about every song you post brings back a memory and I smile! I love the new songs today, but all these wonderful hymns touch me deeply. I love it when our church sings the old hymns with a slightly different beat so that this generation gets to experience some of the moving words. When we sing "Jesus the Nazerene" I loss it each time!

Unknown said...

Beautiful song, and such precious words! Thanks for that reminder this morning.

I posted a flashback song on my blog today.......but it is far from the impacting words of this song!!! :)

Melody said...

I know this is an older post, but when I tried to comment on it on Sunday, my puter froze up and kicked me off!

Anyway, I wanted to say that I LOVE both The Bill Gaither Trio AND the Gaither Vocal Band. I saw the trio in concert and Sandi Patti was their opening act! And I saw the Vocal Band back when Steve Green sang with them. I have been looking and looking for one particular Gaither Album on a CD, but could find it NOWHERE. I finally found a place online that sells it on CD as long as you already have the LP, the 8-track, or the cassette! Then, I found my 2nd favorite album of theirs on iTunes! I have been reliving the 70's all week long! :)