Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Green with Hodgepodge


1. St. Patrick's Day will be celebrated this coming Saturday...what's a favorite article of clothing you own that contains a touch o' the green?

I rarely wear green. In fact, I can't think of anything I have at the moment that has green in it. I've just never particularly cared for it and there aren't many shades that look that good on me.

2. What's a favorite 'green space' in the town, state, or province where you live?

I'm not much of an outdoor person, but I do like being out by the lake in the evening.

3. Do you wish you were taller, shorter, or think you're just about right in the height department?

Just about right, although I used to think I was too tall. I always wanted to be 5' 8", so I was dismayed when I reached 5' 10". But it is convenient to be tall, especially now that osteoporosis is setting in and I'm starting to go the other way!

4. What's the surest way for someone to pick a fight with you?

Mess with my kids.

5. Broccoli-Spinach-String Beans-Peas...of the four, your favorite green veg? (Or the one you dislike the least if that first option's too hard. I just know there's some veggie haters out there.)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm really starting to like spinach. It's taken me 50 years to get over the canned spinach that my mom fed us! Same thing with asparagus, which I'm surprised Joyce didn't mention. I love roasted or grilled asparagus. SO much better than the canned we had growing up. And on top of that my mom would serve cold, straight from the refrigerator! Blech!!

6. March is National Women's History Month...besides friends, neighbors and the women you're related to, who's a woman in history you admire and why?

I'm going to eliminate the usual answers of certain women in the Bible, because that's pretty much a given. Clara Barton - pioneer in nursing during a horrific time; not only was medical care crude and limited, but nursing was not respected or seen as something a nice woman would do. Lottie Moon - missionary to China - anyone who has spent much time around missions in a Southern Baptist church has probably heard of her; you can find out about her here

7. Keep Calm and ____________on.
You fill in the blank.


. . .and press on.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Enjoying my boy being home from school for Spring Break and missing my girl who is on the other side of the world on a mission trip with 15 other juniors & seniors from our church (plus adults). Can't wait to hear how God moves in and through them this week!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

10 comments:

AuburnChick said...

So, you're 5'10"?! Holy cow!! I cannot imagine having legs that long!!

Loved your answer to #4. I can't believe I didn't even think of that!

I'm not surprised you selected Clara Barton as your woman of choice. Weren't you a nurse in your former life? Nursing sure has come a long way, eh?

Jocelyn said...

Whoa - 5'10! I can only *dream* of being that tall. So far, I think I'm the shortest one at 4'11. I hope your daughter is having lots of fun with her trip and that you're enjoying some precious moments with your son! :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love spinach, too - as long as it's not from a can.

Debbie Phillips said...

Just stopping by from Wednesday Hodgepodge. I like to pick the person or 2 that linked up just before me and go visit them... so here I am. Seems a lot of people put press on for #7. Clara Barton and Lottie Moon, good choices, I like both of those women, though I picked Laura Ingalls Wilder. I'm with everyone else 5'10", wow! Now I feel short! lol :-) Don't really like spinach or asparagus, but spinach is better than asparagus. I like spinach dip and I don't mind a little fresh spinach in my salad, but not to much. Great answers. God bless and have a great week.

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Lottie Moon was a good choice.

April said...

Clara Barton and Lottie Moon...both are excellent choices! How exciting that your daughter is on a mission trip...that's something I've always wanted to do!

Jill said...

I'm the same way--don't ever mess with my kids if you want to live. : )

DD said...

I think that canned spinach should be outlawed, it really makes a perfectly acceptable, even tasty, veggie taste horrible.

Cherie said...

People certainly feel strongly about their green vegetables, either way. There seems to be no middle ground. lol I guess I'll have to try asparagus again in a few years. At the moment, it still seems like trying to eat sticks to me. :) Have fun with your son during Spring Break!

Joyce said...

I don't think I've ever had canned spinach but I like fresh and frozen a lot.

Lottie Moon...takes me back to my days in GA's : ) She was an amazing woman!