Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl, Super Old, Super Ad


This Super Bowl, XLV, is making me feel old. For some strange reason, I really remember Super Bowl XIII when I was a senior in high school, probably because the youth group at church had a big party. Actually, I think the whole church did, which probably means the Dallas Cowboys played. (Yep, just confirmed it online. In fact, it's considered to be one of the best Super Bowls ever; played between the Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsburgh Steelers, it was dramatic and the outcome wasn't decided until the final minute when the Steelers won 35-31.) .  But how can we already be at XLV when XIII was just a couple of years ago?!

It's weird enough to know that I am older than the Super Bowl itself. I mean, how can I be older than a long-established, American tradition?! (BTW, in 1967, when the first Super Bowl was played, gas was 33 cents/gallon, the Dow Jones Average was 902, minimum wage increased to $1.49/hour, and the average annual income was $7,300.00!)

But I've decided there's one flaw in the Super Bowl: they didn't look very far ahead and consider the consequences when they decided to use Roman numerals to identify each game. This year's game is nice and tidy. XLV. Short and to the point. Easy to interpret. Fits nicely on all the commemorative merchandise.

But I'm just wondering: what are they going to do in another 40 years when they get to number 88? Super Bowl LXXXVIII is just a bit hard to interpret at a glance, much less fit on the umpteen different kinds of merchandise. Forget the hats and shirts - I'm thinking that if they are still using Roman Numerals then, the officials will have to toss a plate instead of a coin before the game!

And now, to welcome y'all to Texas for this little football scrimmage this afternoon, here's a quick look at some of the things that make us so proud to live in the Lone Star State. This is the complete version of the ad that will be shown during the Super Bowl tonight by HEB, a big regional grocery store down here which is based in San Antonio.




Photobucket

View blog reactions

9 comments:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Thanks for the tidbits on the Super Bowl!! Interesting info!

~Beth

Karen said...

Right there with you, and I was a Steelers fan back then. My family would disown me if I rooted for them now!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved the Super Bowl trivia. I grew up near Miami and was always a huge Dolphin fan. I am not a big football fan...but love those Superbowl commercials...especially the ones with the Budweiser horses. They are my favorite.

Mary said...

LOVE that commercial! I've always felt like a Texan, even though my parents moved to Tn. right after they got married.

My ADHD Me said...

1967! No way!!! You MUST have that date wrong. I just cannot be older than the Super Bowl....sigh.

That song makes me want to come to Texas. I'll look you up when I get there!

My WVB on this is terrific. Too bad I just ran a WVB post.I'll have to save it for next time.

Skoots1moM said...

goooooo, team! oh, wait, my team's not there...boohoo...
oh well maybe next year.

Deborah said...

I have lived in Connecticut my whole life and I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan ever since I can remember watching football! Wish they were playing this year but at least they picked the right stadium to play in. :) I loved your comment about the 88th SuperBowl...too funny!

bp said...

Enjoyed the Texas commercial!

Have a great week.

MaureenT said...

What a great post! I loved the trivia...great thought about the Roman Numerals!!
Maureen