Thursday, August 7, 2008

God's Faithfulness Proclaimed on CNN

Wow. If you didn't watch Larry King Live tonight to see Steven Curtis & Mary Beth Chapman along with their 3 oldest children, Emily, Caleb, & Will Franklin, you missed a very special blessing. God's word was proclaimed on CNN tonight! What a refreshing change from the usual muck on TV.

My heart broke as I watched them candidly discuss the accident that claimed Maria's life, yet I rejoiced as I saw the peace on their faces and the unshakeable faith that they have. Yes, they have questions. They don't understand why it happened. They get through some days an hour at a time.

And yet they are unswerving in their faith in God. His mercies are new every morning. And those kids? My, they were in.cred.i.ble. (I'd let either of those boys marry my girl in a heartbeat. Well, in a few years' heartbeats!)

Mary Beth made a wonderful statement at the very end of the program: she said she told her friends that they fell as far as they could fall into the darkness, and even though they felt like they fell on their faces and not on their feet, the foundation was solid.

Toward the end they played the recording of the new verse to SCC's song Yours, now available through iTunes, Amazon, and other Digital Service Providers:


I've walked the valley of death's shadow
So deep and dark that I could barely breathe
I've had to let go of more than I could bear
And questioned everything that I believe
But still even here in this great darkness
A comfort and hope come breaking through
As I can say in life or death
God we belong to you.

Keep praying for this sweet family. And pray for all who heard their testimony tonight who might not otherwise hear or listen to a message of hope.

The Chapmans will be featured on the cover of People Magazine next week as well.

Photobucket

View blog reactions

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us updated about their appearances. I know I would not have seen this special show tonight had you not written about it. So, again, thank you! I also posted my thoughts on the show. I'd love to get your feedback if you get a minute. Thanks Linda, I truly respect your writings.

Cheryl said...

My husband and I watched it. We encouraged a couple we know, who went through the same type of tragedy in April, to watch as well. We hope that it would bring comfort to them.

I just cried as we watched, it was so powerful! What a testimony to a loving, faithful God.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I'm still recovering from the show last night. My heart remains heavy.

But you're right. They did an amazing job sharing the hope that they have.

(And I hate to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure both boys have really serious girlfriends. Caleb's girlfriend is practically apart of the family. She even goes with the Chapmans -- with her Mom, who is very close friends with Mary Beth -- on family trips.)