Saturday, August 23, 2008

TSMS - My Girl's Favorite Hymn

This one is for my girl. She became a teenager yesterday. Where did my baby girl go? How did I end up with two teenagers?

This has been her favorite song since she was just a tiny thing. It calmed her when no other song would; I can still remember her crying her head off but the moment I began singing this song, the waterworks would stop and the thumb would go in her mouth! And her daddy still sings it to her almost every night at bedtime.

Although it is mostly recognized as a children's song, the truths have no age limit. And while it's sweet to hear a child sing it, I love to hear adults sing it as well.

The song was originally a poem written for a storybook.

Anna Warner and her sister, Susan, were novelists in the 19th century. One of their best-selling books was Say and Seal. Anna wrote this poem for that story.

"Today, few individuals would know or remember the plot of that story, which once stirred the hearts of many readers. But the simple poem spoken by one of the characters, Mr. Linden, as he comforts Johnny Fax, a dying child, still remains the favorite hymn of countless children around the world."

A brilliant Princeton University professor was known for dismissing his grad school class in this manner: "Gentleman, there is still much in this world and in the Bible that I do not understand, but of one thing I am certain -- 'Jesus loves me, this I know for the Bible tells me so' -- and gentlemen, that is sufficient!"

Source:
Amazing Grace: 365 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions by Kenneth W. Osbeck, Kregel, 2002

Indeed, that is sufficient! How often we get caught up in our theological debates and split hairs over petty differences and forget this foundational truth.



JESUS LOVES ME>

Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.


Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven’s gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.

Jesus loves me! He will stay
Close beside me all the way;
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will henceforth live for Thee.

WORDS: Anna B. Warner, 1860
MUSIC: William B. Bradbury, 1862


Be sure to visit Amy's for more songs for your Saturday!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

9 comments:

Amy Wyatt said...

The greatest song of all time!!!! Thanks for sharing the history.

Mandy said...

Ah, yes. I think this song has calmed many a child!

Jenileigh said...

Peaceful indeed. Have a blessed Saturday.

Mindy said...

Such a simple song with such a profound message! Amazing Grace has the same effect on my 3yo.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your girl! Beautiful arrangement! Beautiful voices! Beautiful harmonies. Love the bass!

Peggy said...

Happy Birthday new teenager!!!

Blessings Linda...a wonderful quartet singing the BEST LOVED SIMPLE SONG of ALL TIME with exactly what you stated...it's
SUFFICIENT...

Si Cristo me ama: La Biblia dice asi...

I'm so thankful! Thanks for your wisdom and great song to dedicate to your daughter! This blesses me so with the rich sound of this BIBLICAL Truth! Reminds me of my home church when our quartet sang

Shirley Mary said...

Happy Birthday, to your precious daughter!

My oldest greatgrand son will also be a teenager next month. And, oh, how he loved "Jesus Loves Me"
I had a green rocker that I would hold him and sing that beloved song. Many times when his little world was not going good, he would put both his arms up to me and say, "Jesus Loves Me, green chair"
And he would find comfort in the song and the arms of my love.

And, oh, how that song has blessed countless people and still does as we find comfort in our Heavenly Father's love.
mary

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

That was a great rendition!

Xandra

lori said...

It was so great to meet you this weeken