Friday, May 22, 2009

Add This To Your Reading List

I have a great book to recommend to you, written by someone who could have stepped into any of the professional roles detailed in this story.

Fox News legal correspondent and former Federal Prosecutor Lis Wiehl has created a suspense novel that's as timely as tomorrow's headlines.

While home on Christmas break, a seventeen-year-old Senate page takes her dog out for a walk and never returns. Reporter Cassidy Shaw is the first to break the story. The resulting media firestorm quickly ensnares Federal Prosecutor Allison Pierce and FBI Special Agent Nicole Hedges. The three unique women are life-long friends who call themselves The Triple Threat--a nickname derived from their favorite dessert and their uncanny ability to crack cases via their three positions of power.

Though authorities think Katie might have been kidnapped or run away, those theories shatter when Nicole uncovers Katie's blog. They reveal a girl troubled by a mysterious relationship with an older man. Possibly a U.S. Senator.

As the three women race against time to find Katie alive, their increasing emotional involvement brings out their own inner demons and external enemies. There are many faces of betrayal, but they must find one face in a crowd of growing suspects before they become the next victims.

In Face of Betrayal (Thomas Nelson), Lis Wiehl's expertise in law, politics, and criminal investigation merges with April Henry's narrative genius to create a gripping mystery filled with rich characters, real danger, and a shocking yet satisfying final twist.

AUTHOR BIO:
Lis Wiehl is a Harvard Law School graduate and former federal prosecutor. A widely popular legal analyst and commentator for the Fox News Channel, Wiehl appears regularly on The O'Reilly Factor and was co-host with Bill O'Reilly on the widely-syndicated radio show, The Radio Factor, for the past seven years. She lives with her husband and two children in New York. You can learn more about her at her website.

April Henry has written seven mysteries and thrillers. Her books have been short-listed for the Agatha Award, the Anthony Award, and the Oregon Book Award. Two have been chosen for BookSense. April lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband and daughter.


MY THOUGHTS:
Wow. This is a captivating and suspenseful book that I absolutely could not put down. And sadly, I can just imagine such a story screaming from the headlines of the newspapers and becoming the latest obsession of our 24-hour, minute-by-minute news stations. The story is well-balanced as it shows each of the three friends' varying perspectives that accompany their different roles in their attempt to discover what happened to Katie. As one who is easily annoyed by the media's intrusion and efforts to "scoop" a story, I was intrigued by Cassidy's perspective as she pounded the pavement only to be faced with the possibility of the story being ripped out from under her. Allison and Nicole have their own reasons why the case becomes intensely personal for them, and their quest to find Katie and bring the person responsible for her disappearance to justice turns the three dynamic women into a formidable force.

As a side note, I am thrilled to discover this author/commentator, and I am so encouraged to see a bright, intelligent, and articulate individual living out her faith in an intense environment. The back of the book contains the transcript of an interview of Lis Wiesl by Bill O'Reilly, and I especially appreciated this interaction:

Bill O'Reilly: We're living in a society where secularism is combating traditional religion. most Americans are facing that struggle on a regular basis. This important to you, your characters?

Lis Wiehl: Absolutely critical. All three women in the book struggle with issues of what to believe and why. For Allison especially, it's difficult to reconcile a loving God with what she sees everyday at work. For me, my faith is an integral part of who I am, and my own moral compass. As a Christian writing fiction I deal with issues of faith. And I think most Americans can relate to that. (p. 289)

Here's Lis Wiehl herself with a brief peek at the book and its writing:


I highly recommend this book and urge you to grab a copy today. But hurry - it's already #24 on the NYT Bestseller List! You can purchase Face of Betrayal at Amazon, Christian Books, or Barnes & Noble. I'm already looking forward to her next book, Hand of Fate, to be released next spring!

Happy Suspenseful Reading!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

6 comments:

sara said...

this one really sounds good. I have to order some BS books today and think I will add this to my list...you know, free shipping and all!!! :)

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Looks good...
Xandra

Anonymous said...

I just put this on hold at my local library. I'm 17th in line. I buy a lot of non-fiction books, but I keep all my fiction books at the library.

I've been reading a little fiction while I'm recuperating! After reading about Angela Hunt here at Mocha, I read "The Note" and right now I'm reading "The Elevator" with "The Novelist" next in line. Thanks!

Skoots1moM said...

i ordered it today...eager to read it. thanks for the review

Beverlydru said...

This is going on my list of "must read". Thanks,

Lisa Spence said...

Sounds like my kind of read!