Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. Share a favorite song lyric.

I better not see 'I can't think of one' on anybody's paper. That's an automatic F in the Wednesday Hodgepodge you know.


Yes, ma'am! Of course, I know a kabillion songs, which all immediately left my brain as soon as I read this questions! But I don't want an F!

There are a couple of secular songs from my childhood that made an impression. One was Glen Campbell's "Long Black Limousine." It's a bit morbid but always made me laugh:
When you left home you told me
Someday you'd be returning
In a fancy car for all the town to see.
Now everyone is watching,
You finally got your dream
You're riding in a long black limousine.
Of course, there's nothing funny about what the song talks about - a party, fast driving on the highway, a curve not seen, and being brought back to one's hometown in a hearse - but kids don't think about stuff like that. I just thought it was a clever play on words. (See, I've been a word geek all my life!)

But of course, my favorite lyrics are from songs of faith. It's virtually impossible to pick a favorite. But pretty high on the list is:
Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is thy faithfulness,
Morning by morning new mercies I see,
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

2. When was the last time someone yelled at you?

I really don't know. I'm not around people who tend to yell. And I would usually either try to defuse the situation or be long gone before it got to that point anyway!

3. Money, fame, happiness...are they mutually exclusive?

In therory, no. In reality, there are very few people who can manage all three at the same time.

4. What is your favorite dish to prepare for family and friends that doesn't require turning on the stove, oven or an outdoor grill?

Well, that certainly eliminates the majority of my options! Hmmm. Chips & salsa & guacamole, I guess. Or build-your-own ice cream sundaes. I'm not very innovative without being able to cook at least a bit!

5. The first week of August is National Simplify Your Life Week. What is one thing you could do this week to simplify your life? Will you do it?

Stop reviewing books and blogging. Uh, NO!!!

6. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being 100% and 1 being not at all) how tuned in are you to your country's national political scene?

About a 7.

7. What are your final parting words to the month of July?

You gave me some great memories! See you next year!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Take a peek at the top of my right sidebar - there's lots of fun stuff going on. This week I started posting interviews and giveaways from my trip to Atlanta. Just click on the links for your chances to win! And one way to win - you can now like me on Facebook! I'd love for you to send your friends who aren't into blogging to me via FB! Also, check out my article about Atlanta with some author interview excerpts, published in the August issue of Christian Fiction Online Magazine!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

10 comments:

Joyce said...

Whoohoo! Congrats on your publication! I don't remember that particular Glenn Campbell song but I loved his music, especially Everyday Housewife and Galveston. I heard he is now battlling Alzheimers.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

You're published! Congratulations!

annies home said...

#5 is something I hope you do not do as it may simplify your life but would make me very saD

Thena said...

Not much that I could think of either that doesn't require some type of cooking. Ice cream sundaes, now that would definetly cool things off. Have you tried DQ's new blizzard, nutter butter peanut butter. Sounds wonderful.

Kathy said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi! Congrats on getting published :)

Stacy said...

Congrats on being published! That is a good Glenn Campbell song...haven't heard it in ages. No blogging would probably simplify my life, too, but I'm with you. NO!

Michelle said...

#4 is a fun answer.
I would enjoy both.

Congratulations on getting published!

Hope you have a fun rest of the week.

Mary said...

I've never heard that Glenn Campbell song, either.
Way to go on the publication!

Cathy said...

Great is Thy Faithfulness is such a wonderful song. Congrats on your getting published. That is so awesome! Chips and salsa sounds good to me, but you can keep the guacamole! :)

Amiee said...

I'm coming to your house for dinner! Chips and Salsa (hold the baby poop, please) and ice cream sundaes. YUM!