Friday, September 2, 2011

TSMSS - How Firm a Foundation


This is a wonderful old hymn that is rarely sung anymore. Even more rarely are all the verses included. It makes me so sad to see so many of these incredible old hymns, which are steeped in theology and Biblical truth, fading away. There are some wonderful new songs being sung today, but I find some of them to be emotion-driven and lacking spiritual depth. Sadly, many who call themselves Christians have ignored and even rejected "how firm a foundation. . .is laid for [their] faith in His excellent Word."



Photobucket

View blog reactions

5 comments:

Hazel said...

So this is how it sounds. I often came across this song in the church hymnal at home when I was a kid. I never heard its tune though ( I can't remember it ever sung or I just didn't know that was it already). Finally, I have. Thanks for featuring this song.

Debbie Petras said...

I'm so glad you posted this hymn with words that have such meaning. I'm sure there's a whole generation like Hazel who never actually heard the song and lyrics. As an 'older' believer, I'm very familiar with this song. And did you know that in Bible Study Fellowship they sing many of these older hymns and do all of the verses? I always loved that.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Nana Jul said...

FIRM...let's all stand together on His firm foundation!!
Happy Saturday.
Julie

Madonna said...

I agree with you. There are a lot of songs anymore that are more "spiritual" but not Christian. They actually never make any reference to Jesus or His teachings. I am not saying they are bad but they should be in addition to real gospel music and not instead of.

Michelle said...

Thank you for posting this.
I'm afraid there are many hymns I have not heard.