Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In the Good Ol' Wednesday Hodgepodge



The calendar says summer doesn't start for another three weeks or so, but school's out and it's after Memorial Day, and the temperature is in the 90's (with the heat index around 100!). Sounds like summer to this Texas gal! A great time to kick off the flip-flops and join Joyce for another Wednesday Hodgepodge!

1. What can the average citizen do to honor a military veteran and/or those currently serving?

Tell them thank you. Support and minister to their family. Don't trample the freedoms they fought/are fighting to preserve.

2. Besides a flag what is something you own that is red, white and blue?

I have things that are red & white and blue & white which I could combine to be patriotic, but I can't really think of anything right now that is red, white and blue.

3. Does love really conquer all?

Love doesn't conquer. Love serves and gives.

Exception: Love conquers fear.
(Perfect love drives out fear. I John 4:18)

4. Strawberry shortcake or blueberry pie?

I'll take strawberry anything over blueberries. But I've gotten where I really prefer the strawberries without the shortcake. The strawberries are so good and the shortcake is just that many more calories. (Although that rationale goes out the window with whipped cream. I'll take strawberries and whipped cream anytime!)

5. Do you share personal stuff with your hairdresser?

No. But then I'm not from the generation of going to the beauty shop once a week. In fact, I don't even call her my hairdresser. I generally refer to her as the woman who cuts my hair. I associate the term hairdresser with those weekly wash-and-style appointments of the older generation.

6. Does money lead to selfishness?

Money itself does not. The LOVE of money does. People frequently misquote the scripture as saying "Money is the root of all evil." The Bible actually says "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (I Timothy 6;10) (emphasis mine)

7. What piece of furniture in your home most needs replacing or refinishing?

Our "temporary" coffee table that we bought at our next-door neighbors' garage sale 20 years ago for $25!

8. Insert your own random here.

It's a little disconcerting when ordering guacamole at a restaurant and someone at the table requests that it be "extra hot" and the waiter looks puzzled and says, "But the avocado is always served cold."

We educated him that, in Texas, hot is a synonym for spicy!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Hot guacamole : ) Oh dear. He was working in a Mexican restaurant?

Mary said...

Good answer on #3. I know where you're coming from with the hairdresser. I call mine "the woman who cuts my hair", too, since I only see her once/month!

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

:) on random thought-Oh my!

Kate Maxwell said...

Love the guacamole comment! It has become a weekly staple in our house... perfect on just about everything, especially eggs in the morning and chips at night!

Hopping by from my Hodge Podge!