Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. How often do you check the weather? How do you check the weather?

In the cooler seasons, I pretty much check it daily. Last year I got out of the habit of checking it at all during the summer because I knew it was going to be over 100 and 0 chance of rain! This year, we've had a little bit of rain, but it's still not enough to make me check it very much. But in the winter, when one day the high can be 45 and the next day it can be 75, yeah, I check it!

Now if there is a tropical storm or hurricane brewing in or headed toward the Gulf of Mexico, I do keep an eye on it! (No pun intended!)

As far as the method by which I check it, I usually check it online with our local newspaper or one of the TV stations. I track/watch the tropical storms via the National Hurricane Center.

2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Agree or Disagree. Why?

Well, I'm glad I didn't answer this the first time I read this! I thought it said it was "entirely a matter of choice." That I agree with. Chance? Notsomuch. And it is better to know about the defects (personality quirks, weird habits, etc.) of your spouse-to-be before you say "I do;" be sure there are no deal-breakers!

3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?

No and no. But I've always thought it would be neat to know how to ballroom dance; nothing fancy -- just a waltz or two.

4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or home made peach ice cream? Pick one.

I guess I would say peach ice cream. But my first choice would be warm peach cobbler (topped with a pie crust; none of this biscuit topping that some claim to be a cobbler!) with vanilla ice cream.

5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?

Yes and no. Life isn't fair - everyone doesn't win a prize. Rain falls on the just and the unjust. Someone else will get a _______ that you deserved.

On the other hand, we should NOT accept unfairness when people are mistreated or oppressed.

6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Which one's your favorite?

Wow, I'm not a big fan of any of those. I guess I'd say Raiders of the Lost Ark. It makes me think of high school.

7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?

No thanks.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm excited to be heading to Orlando on Saturday for ICRS. I'm going to be meeting and interviewing some amazing folks while I'm there -- connecting with some author friends I've met before, meeting some new faces, and interviewing some musical artists as well! And of course, the highlight of the week: I'll be at the Christy Awards Dinner on Monday night!


UPDATED TO ADD: Amazing deal today only! Dan Walsh's latest novel, The Discovery, is only $2.99 on Kindle and Nook! Grab this phenomenal book at an amazing price. I'll be interviewing Dan Walsh next week in Orlando and I can't wait! Walsh has been called the Nicholas Sparks of Christian Fiction. Personally, I think Sparks should be honored to be compared to him! You can read my review, which doesn't begin to do it justice, here. USA Today calls it "a sublime delight that shouldn’t be missed.”


Photobucket

View blog reactions

10 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm going to make a peach cobbler as soon as we have ripe peaches. The local peaches are just starting to come into the stores and farm stands here now.

Have a wonderful time in Orlando!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I prefer peach cobbler over peach pie ... and I'm a pie lover. And I agree, a good cobbler has a crust on top, not biscuit mix. ;-)

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

i too am a pie/cobbler lover and love the pastry topping...not the biscuit mix. I can't wait to read the Walsh book and can't wait to read your interview with him. Have fun in Orlando

Kathy said...

Yay for peach cobbler!

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure it will be very exciting.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your trip sounds wonderful, have a great time. I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark also. That book sounds very interesting.

sara said...

i hardly ever check the weather unless I am going on vacation!

love anything peach!

thanks for the tip on the book, heading now to download it!!!

Cathy said...

Great answers Linda and I forgot to add the vanilla ice cream to my cobbler. :)

Have a great time in Orlando!

Jill said...

Peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream are my absolutely favorite non-chocolate dessert!

Welcome to my neck of the woods this weekend! I won't be at ICRS, but give a wave in a northerly direction, and I'm sure I'll see you. : )

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip and neat opportunity, Linda! Enjoy!!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Good answers and what fun to be going to Orlando. I love Orlando and think it's about time for me to go back myself. :o)

Happy rest of the week!