Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Falling for the Hodgepodge


Saturday is the first day of fall, and Joyce has us thinking about the autumn of our lives (!) as well as autumn on the calendar.

1. What's the best and worst thing about growing older?

Best - not having to experience some of the angst of youth!
Worst - not getting to experience some of the fun of youth!

Seriously, having a bit of wisdom and having been "around the block" a few times is the best part. The worst part is the body not realizing that my brain still feels like I'm 30!

And the realization after both of my parents had died that I am now part of the oldest generation in my family! It was sobering to realize there wasn't that "buffer" generation between me and the end of life!

2. Autumn arrives this week in the Northern Hemisphere...what one thing do you love most about the fall season?

A breeze below 100 degrees. And Thanksgiving.

3. Speaking of fall...pumpkin seems to be flavoring everything these days-are you a fan? What's your favorite pumpkin flavored food or beverage?

Ixnay on the pumpkin. The only thing I like about seeing the pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks is knowing that the peppermint mochas are coming next!

4. Since we're on the subject of fall...what's the worst fall you've ever taken?

Fell off my bike in 3rd grade and hit my face. Knocked out a baby tooth, cut my lip, and got mad at my sister, who distracted me as I was trying to turn at the end of the driveway. (I hadn't been riding long and I was barely big enough for the bike. That's the result of being the baby and getting the hand-me-down bikes. I had to wait to grow into the big kid bikes.)

5. If you could own a prop from any film what would you choose?

Since I got to go down to Salzburg, Austria on my Germany trip in August and see some of the sites where The Sound of Music was filmed, I'd definitely say the pavilion where Liesl and Rolf danced and sang Sixteen Going on Seventeen and where Captain Von Trapp proposed to Maria. I know it's more of a setting than a prop, but it is moveable; it's not in the original location where they filmed the movie!



6. What's the most interesting word you've read or learned in the past week?

I haven't a clue.

7. When was the last time you locked yourself out of your house, car, or office? Was it a big deal?

Thanks to sensors and locks that require a key to lock them, it's been at least 20 years. Although now that I've typed that, I'll probably figure out a way to do it in the next week or two. LOL

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm heading to Dallas tomorrow for the ACFW Conference, which runs through Sunday. Saturday night will be the Carol Awards Gala! I can't wait to see which of the 2012 Finalists receive the award! So many great nominations!



Photobucket

View blog reactions

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Great minds think alike! Again : )

Have a great trip!

retired not tired said...

have a great trip and enjoy the conference.

Cathy said...

A lot of people have said the gazebo. It's beautiful and such a wonderful scene in the movie.

Have fun at the ACFW Conference

April said...

I'm in total agreement with your answers for #1. Both of my parents are gone, as well.