Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


I'm popping in to join the Hodgepodge today with Joyce, which is always fun!

1. Did you watch The Oscars? How many of the Best Picture nominees have you seen? (American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, Selma, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash)

Do you think actors should use their acceptance speeches as an opportunity to promote their political and/or social agenda? Does that sort of speech make you more or less inclined to change the channel?


I never watch the Oscars. I can't remember ever sitting through more than about ten minutes of the show. Hollywood's glitz and glamour holds no appeal for me. To me, it's just modern-day Babylon. I'm not trying to be harsh or judgmental but it just seems like it gets worse every year.

And no, I don't think the actors should use acceptance speeches - or their celebrity - to promote their agendas. They are actors, not folks with poli-sci degrees. Our country gives them far too much attention and credibility.

Not that I have much of an opinion about it or anything. LOL

2. Speaking of the movies... are you comfortable going to a movie alone? How about dinner in a restaurant (not fast food, but an actual restaurant)? The second half of this question was posed by Carrie who blogs over at It's Not Easy Being Queen. Thanks Carrie!

I don't go to that many movies (I'm sure you're shocked after my first answer! Not!) but I'm not opposed to it. I used to be horrified by the idea of going to a restaurant by myself, but that was in my younger, more insecure days when I thought miscellaneous people would really pay attention and care about some random girl sitting by herself. Now I'm fine with it. I take my book and enjoy my meal.

3. What's the last home repair or home improvement project you had to pay someone to complete? In hindsight was this a project you could have done yourself?

We've been in a major house remodel for years and done most of it ourselves (actually my man does most of the work). We hired some stuff done last year and could have done it ourselves but decided to get it done faster by hiring it out.

4. Have you ever had Indian food? Like it or no? If you're a fan, what's your favorite dish? Have you ever prepared this yourself at home? Is there an Indian restaurant in your current hometown?

I've head a smidgen. I'm not a fan. I don't care for curry. And there are a lot of Indian restaurants around here since central Texas has a lot of high-tech companies.

5. A song that reminds you of your parents?

What a Friend We Have in Jesus was my dad's favorite hymn and always makes me think of him. Several hymns remind me of my mom as well as any song I hear sung by Bing Crosby.

6. The 26th of February is National Tell A Fairy Tale Day. What's your favorite, or one of your favorite, fairy tales? Do you have any childhood memories associated with a particular fairy tale?

I was never a huge fan of fairy tales, although I remember checking out Grimm's Fairy Tales and Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales from the library. They always kind of creeped me out - horrid things happening to people who were foolish or disobedient and then a moral at the end. And the people in them were always weird. I don't know that I ever had a favorite but one that I particularly remember thinking was strange was Rapunzel. Even as a child, I was pretty logical and knew it would really hurt if someone tried to climb up a tower using her hair!

7. What's a problem you solved yesterday?

I don't remember having a particular problem yesterday. Maybe how to stretch dinner since we had leftovers and there weren't quite enough for both of us.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I am so ready for spring to get here. A little unexpected surgery last week, some really cold weather this week--February can just mosey on down the road as far as I'm concerned!




Photobucket

View blog reactions

4 comments:

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Hmm...regarding movies & restaurants alone. I frequently go to restaurants alone because I'm comfortable being alone with a book & I enjoy eating out occasionally. I can only remember going to the movies alone twice--once before I entered the convent. I was in Philadelphia shopping and wanted to see Imitation of Life. I was afraid it wouldn't come to Wilmington before I left. I also remember going to see a Susan Sarandon movie when I was out of state on a conference. Songs? The first two songs I learned were Let Me Call You Sweetheart and Show Me the Way to Go Home! My day taught them to me and they always remind me of him. My mom also loved Bing Crosby as well as Perry Como! But I also remember her joking around singing a song called "Speedo" back in the 50s. (They often call me Speedo but my real name is Mr. Earl). As for fairy tales--I guess I've always been a dreamer and a romantic so I loved fairy tales but the one that always frightened me was Jack and the Beanstalk. Have no clue as to why!

Joyce said...

We roll into March next week, and our forecast looks about the same as the current weather which is far too cold. I need to get out of the single digits! In general, I'm pretty tired of Hollywood.

katie eggeman said...

speed and promptness is the main reason we don't do alot of repairs and such, ourselves. It is easier to hire out the repairs.
Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

Cathy said...

I'm ready for February to be over and spring to come too.