Saturday, March 21, 2009

TSMSS - The Best Story

I love music. And I love books. Specifically Christian music and books. So as I was getting ready to go to Dallas for the Christian Book Expo this weekend and at the same time thinking about posting for TSMSS, I reflected on the fact that the very reason I love them is because of the message found therein. A message found in the Book of books. A Story that tops all stories. A Story better than any fiction could ever dream of being, because it is true and was written by the Author of life.

A beautiful song by Fanny Crosby speaks of this story that never grows old. I haven't sung this song in years, but it's one that I learned as a child and can sing without the hymnal even today. Enjoy!




TELL ME THE STORY OF JESUS

Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.
Tell how the angels in chorus,
Sang as they welcomed His birth.
“Glory to God in the highest!
Peace and good tidings to earth.”

Refrain
Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.


Fasting alone in the desert,
Tell of the days that are past.
How for our sins He was tempted,
Yet was triumphant at last.
Tell of the years of His labor,
Tell of the sorrow He bore.
He was despised and afflicted,
Homeless, rejected and poor.

Refrain

Tell of the cross where they nailed Him,
Writhing in anguish and pain.
Tell of the grave where they laid Him,
Tell how He liveth again.
Love in that story so tender,
Clearer than ever I see.
Stay, let me weep while you whisper,
Love paid the ransom for me.

Refrain

WORDS; Fanny Crosby, 1880
MUSIC: John R. Sweney, 1880

Be sure to go by Amy's blog for more songs to bless your weekend!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

11 comments:

Sita said...

Just like Karen's song...this expresses all that really matters in the end, doesn't it?...thanks for sharing this..an oldie I appreciate now...

Cathy said...

I love those old songs, Linda, thanks for sharing that one. Have a wonderful time at the Expo!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Now that brings back wonderful memories of seeing and hearing my dad sing that song! It's so hard to believe that after almost 19 years I still miss him so! Have fun at the expo!

Debbie Petras said...

I'm so glad you like many of these older songs. I do too and I'm more familiar with them. There's nothing like the story of Jesus. Yes, we need to keep on telling the story of Jesus.

Linda, I'm looking forward to your posts about Christian Book Expo.

sara said...

You know, I have never heard this song before. I love the refrain "write it on my heart every word" Amen!

Have a great weekend

Darlene said...

I have never heard this before. I love the it!
Great words and meaning!
I really need to listen to such beautiful songs that have touched my heart. Thanks for sharing!
Have fun at the expo!

Deborah said...

I remember playing this in church and we had to play all the verses, leaving off a verse was like leaving off a part of His story. Thanks for sharing. Have fun!

Kelly said...

Special! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

AMEN!! So very beautiful! Love paid the ransom for me! This was the perfect song for me today...thank you!

My ADHD Me said...

This is one of those close your eyes, smile and sway songs. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful harmonies. Love the arrangement.