Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wrapping Up May

Apparently my kids are not the only ones whose brains shut down when school ended on Friday.

I realized this morning that I neglected to draw a winner for the books from my 100th post last evening. Yesterday my "get up and go" definitely got up and went! We did take care of a couple of errands to get some additional equipment and clothing for the upcoming 2 week Scout camping and backpacking trek my son and husband are leaving on next weekend. But that was about all I was good for all day. It's funny how our bodies can sense when the frenzied pace of activity has finally subsided and all our energy drains out in a whoosh like the air leaving a balloon.

But I do indeed want to gift these books to 2 of you who commented on my milestone post. So before I went to church this morning the computer chose the following:

Here are your random numbers: 4, 12

Timestamp: 2008-06-01 13:56:23 UTC


Congrats to Chris and skoots1mom! Please send me your addresses, ladies, and I'll get your books to you!

Before the summer gets in full swing, a couple of things to catch up on. . . . .

I received a couple of books as a Mother's Day gift from one of the publishers that I review books for that I'd like to tell you about.

Rattled by Trish Berg
This is a great book for new moms. The subtitle is Surviving Your Baby's First Year Without Losing Your Cool. This book is full of anecdotes and advice, and sprinkled throughout each chapter are practical tidbits, prayers, and questions & thoughts to ponder as well as an appendix containing a plethora of resources. . Trish hilariously recounts her own crazed moments of motherhood, and deliciously celebrates sweet moments with the babies that will grow up all too soon.

Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs
Chantel Hobbs, a mother of four, recounts her struggles with obesity, body image and health in Never Say Diet. Realizing that choosing to live well was one of the best gifts she could give her family, Chantel is so excited to encourage YOU to take the small but meaningful steps towards a healthier life. Ditch the diet! Buy some new skinny jeans! And don’t forget to read the five tips to get your family fit this spring. This woman lost 200 pounds, so the concepts she stresses bear some weight (pun intended!).

A couple of you noticed that I had The Shack on my Spring Reading List and wondered how I liked it. To be honest, I was a bit mixed. The book was interesting to read, and it had some excellent and scripturally-grounded statements about God and faith. But although I will readily admit that I prefer realism to allegories, I must say that the aspect of how the book portrayed God bothered me. There is a difference between God meeting us at the point of our need and God changing Himself to be what we want Him to be.

I am also concerned that those who elevate this book on a theological pedestal are those who focus on the message of God's love and acceptance to the exclusion of the concept of God's holiness in regard to sin. Particularly in today's society of "feel-good religion," we frequently hear folks cite examples of how accepting and non-condemning Jesus was when He lived on this earth, reaching out to "sinners" when others would judge and stone. Yet they frequently ignore the aspect of "go and sin no more" and the fact that each of those individuals (such as Zaccheus, the woman caught in adultery, the woman at the well, etc.) repented and had a changed life. It was not an "anything goes" relationship.

The book has much to ponder. But God has already revealed Himself to humanity, and that is recorded in a divinely inspired Book. I pray that books like The Shack will point folks to those Scriptures, not become their theology in and of itself.

And my opinion is worth about what you paid for it! Have a great day!

Photobucket

View blog reactions

9 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

thanks for the reviews Linda! I just might try find that book never say diet!

Anonymous said...

I have heard many rave about the Shack, I respect your opinion. I will not buy it.I heard a sermon today on that ,He said people have Jesus as meek and mild... Meek yes mild no! Jesus said it the way it was!! Amen!
Deb

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

The one positive thing that I took away from The Shack was the part about forgiveness being about loosening your grip on the other man's throat. That stopped me cold in my tracks--what a great word picture. Other than that, I did not care for the style of writing and some of the concepts. However, I know that one of my personal limitations is that I'm a bit rigid in things, and sometimes I need new perspectives. But basically, I agree that Jesus is God revealed, period. All in all, I just didn't see what the big fuss was. But one of my good friends absolutely loved it.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Amen and amen to your comments about The Shack. I haven't read the book, but I completely agree with your take on society and the way that it has watered down the gospel to a God that is one sided and weak. Our God is holy and demands payment for sin...I'm so glad that Christ did it for me!!

As for your get up and go, as long as it makes it's way here in a few weeks, we won't have any problems!

Xandra

Melody said...

Fascinating. I didn't get that at all from this book. I found it to be all about having a personal relationship with all three of God's persons, about forgiveness, and allowing God to hold sinners accountable rather than trying to do it ourselves, and about how much God loves each and every one of us...even those who have not yet chosen to love Him.

I'll email you to discuss it further as we all know that the author doesn't want us giving specifics of the book away! I'm curious as to what in the book you saw that indicated that it was ignoring the "sin no more" aspect. I didn't see that at all.

We're starting school in 14 minutes, so I'll have to email you later!

Oh yeah...Dreadheads rule! LOL!

Carole said...

I really appreciate your thoughts on The Shack, Linda. People like to think of Jesus' love and forgiveness, but not His call to obedience and holiness. My copy came last week and I'll read it, but only to gleam the good aspects from it.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Happy June to you Linda! You are also a good reviewer!

Anonymous said...

I am glad I am not alone. I have been trying to read The Shack for a couple months now. In fact, it pretty much ruined my ideas for the Spring Reading Thing. I only finished one of the books on my list. I just can't seem to get through that book.I am stuck and don't even want to finish it. I am mostly still reading it because people close to me rave about it and because I want to read some kind of answers about the little girl.I'm glad i am not a heathen for finding it kind of odd.

Hey, if I put that don't diet book on my shelf with my other ones I will lose these 30 pounds from my last baby? Or would I actually have to read it?

Melinda said...

I know this is an old post, but in looking at the books that you've reviewed, I was curious what your thoughts were on this one in particular. What I found were my own thoughts, exactly, summed up beautifully in your words.

I so enjoyed meeting you in San Antonio...I'll be back to check out what's happening in the world o' mocha. :o)