Friday, September 25, 2009

Five for Friday

Quilly had this Five Word Meme on her blog and invited others to play; if we agreed, she would send each of us five words of her choosing about which to share. I laughed when I got my words - she said she didn't start out intending to have them all start with them same letter, but it just kinda happened. But the word geek and alliteration lover in me thought it appropriate since it was for my Friday post!

So, here goes! I'm sure you're dying to know what I think about:

1.) Faith
First on the list and first in priority. I can't imagine life without it. And yet it's not the faith itself that sustains me, but the object of my faith, which is Christ. One can have much faith in an erroneous and powerless object or religious system and be doomed. But even a small amount of faith in the God of the universe Who is omnipotent, omniscient, just, and sovereign, will change hearts, lives, the world.


2.) Food
Can't live without it! I'm a Texas gal and I like my beef - steak, burgers, roast, BBQ. And Mexican food, of course! I cook most nights and my kids take their lunches. I'm a bit of a baking snob - I grew up making stuff from scratch and that's still the way I do it. I like crunchy foods - tacos more than enchiladas, salad more than soup, etc. And popcorn. And I'm not very adventuresome when it comes to food. I like what I know and what is traditional.


3.) Flaw
Way too easy for me to spot! I'm such a perfectionist about so many things. The last 5 or 6 years I've learned much about grace. (But misspelled words and misuse of apostrophes still drives me batty!)


4.) Fame
Way overrated. Except in blogs, maybe! LOL Seriously, a life in the spotlight holds no appeal. I want to know my friends love me for who I am, not for the light that might spill over onto them.


5.) Fear
The feeling that comes just after I click "Publish Post". . .!
What happens when #1 falters or is placed in myself and my abilities - or in anything other than God. It used to paralyze me when my kids were tiny - the fear of "what if" something happened to them. I'm lots better. I think. We'll see if it stays that way when my boy gets his license in a few months and drives off alone for the first time!


Well, that was harder than I thought it would be when I saw the list. What happened to words like fall and friendship and foolishness?! Just joking, Quilly -- it was good to stretch my brain a bit!

If you want to play, let me know in the comments and I'll email you 5 words.


Photobucket

View blog reactions

7 comments:

quilly said...

Linda -- you did a great job with these!

I am a bit of a snob about "homemade" myself -- or at least I was until I came to the land of "its-too-dang-hot-to-cook". I am so looking forward to going back to Washington State and digging out my baking pans. I have been dreaming about homemade bread for weeks!

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Enjoyed your answers! But cooking every night??? From Scratch!! No way!! Where's the can opener?!? :o)

~Beth

Mocha with Linda said...

Ah, Beth, the "from scratch" comment was in regards to baking. I'm all about dumping cans of beans in a pot of soup! LOL

My ADHD Me said...

1. "Faith- Believing in something when common sense tells you not to."
(Miracle on 34th Street)

2. Cooking- I wish I loved to cook. I would truly rather clean the bathroom!

3. Im' gled i Allways provffread all, off mi coments.

4. I agree! WAY overrated!

5. There are no words to describe the feeling I had when my son drove off for the first time. He smiled and waved, as did I. On the inside, however....just no words to describe it.

sara said...

love your thoughts on these words!

1. your explanation of Faith...perfect!

2. food....we are on the same wave length here....except I am very adventurous with my food...more than my family would like!! Have you seen Pioneer Woman's new cookbook coming out? right up our alley!!!

3. so glad I have spell check so I don't drive you crazy!!

4. agree!

5. I am having to FORCE my last child to drive. he has no desire...this one will be interesting!

I would love to play along with this!! But be nice to me!! :)

Barbara H. said...

Love what you had to say about faith.

I grew up in TX and love many of the same foods -- BBQ and Mexican food some of my favorites!

I can agree with what you said about the other things as well. Being discerning and detailed and wanting things done "right" can help in so many areas -- but can cause a lack of grace when others don't see or do things the same.

Melli said...

Linda... you don't need FAME for your light to spill out over people! YOU let the light of Christ spill out of you onto people! That's better than FAME any day! :)

Loved reading your thoughts!