Thursday, September 23, 2010

Flashback Friday Prompt



Did you like to read when you were a child? What were your favorite genres, books or series? Did you read books because of the author or because of the title/plot? Did you own many books? Did your school distribute the Scholastic book orders (or some other type)? Did you visit the library often? Was there a summer reading program when you were young, and did you participate? Do you have any particular memories of your school libraries? What were your favorites and least favorites among the classics (the ones high school English teachers assign!)? If you didn't like reading, do you like it more today than you did then?


Post your memories on your blog tomorrow and come back here to link up!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

4 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

sounds good, lid

Ashley said...

This is my first Flashback Friday - and it's on one of my favorite things! I've already posted my quite lengthy memories on the subject. Thank you for providing good food for blogging thought.

BTW, I found you through 2nd Cup of Coffee.

Cindy Swanson said...

Mine's up...one of my favorite subjects!

Carole said...

I have a blog, but I'm not really a blogger (hope that made sense!), so I'd like to post briefly here, Linda.

My Mom was an avid reader and I credit her for passing this love for books on to me. She got paid twice a month, so I knew that every other Friday, she would get out of the car with a book for me in her hand.

She started me out on Bobbsey Twins, then on to Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton, and Cherry Ames. My two favorite series were Judy Bolton and Cherry Ames, and I read them well into my teenage years. This is probably why I am an avid mystery fan today.

In high school, I discovered Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes. Outside the mystery genre, I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, The Night the Bed Fell In and other hilarious stories by James Thurber, To Have and To Hold by Mary Johnston, and biblical fiction like The Robe. The main literature that I hated was Shakespeare.

It's funny that you mentioned the Betsy-Tacy series, Linda. Someone recently recommended it and I picked the first one up at the library today.

With most of the famous classics, I didn't read them unless required. Most of them are free on today's ereaders, so I downloaded some Jane Austen, etc. on my Kindle last week and hope to enjoy them soon.