Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Thoughts on Prayer

Here are the remainder of the quotes from the special prayer service my church had last week.

  • Pray often, for prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge for Satan.John Bunyan
  • Prayer does not fit us for the greater work, prayer is the greater work. Oswald Chambers
  • To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart. John Bunyan
  • Those who do not believe do not pray. This is a good functional definition of prayer. Faith prays, unbelief does not. John A. Hardon
  • The lover of silence draws close to God. He talks to Him in secret and God enlightens him. John Climacus
  • God’s answers are wiser than our prayers. Unknown
  • Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart. Martin Luther
  • Pray, and let God worry. Martin Luther
  • Pray without ceasing. Apostle Paul
Years ago, my man and I were at a retreat on prayer. I cannot put my hands on the book to find the author's (and retreat speaker's) name, but I will never forget a very convicting statement he made.

God have mercy on the generation
after the generation that does not pray.



Photobucket

View blog reactions

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoed this post. Our generation is such a self-help one that I think prayer gets pushed to the back burner WAY TOO OFTEN. I catch myself talking to others and getting their thoughts and opinions at times before I fall to my bended knees and ask God.

Patrice and Higgins said...

Wrapping my mind around that last statement......

sara said...

wow, that was a pretty powerful statement at the end...and so true!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Thanks for those awesome quotes! I do struggle in my prayer life, but desire to grow closer to God through prayer!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Gotta love John Bunyan and Martin Luther! We were just talking about both of them in Sunday School this morning!

Xandra

Mel said...

I love both sets of quotes!!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I liked the Hardon quote a lot. And Oswald Chambers, of course. They were all good.