Saturday, August 7, 2010

TSMSS - Nothing but the Blood


I like many of the contemporary songs that are sung in today's churches. I got to thinking, though, how so many of the current worship songs have been "sanitized" -- they focus on grace and glory and don't even mention the blood that Jesus shed for us. I just googled and looked at the list of the Top 100+ Worship Songs on the CCLI site (the company that gives churches the licenses to print lyrics in bulletins and on screens). Not one song had "blood" in its title. As I perused the list of songs, I recognized only four as being songs that talk about Christ's suffering: Chris Tomlin's The Wonderful Cross, Stuart Townsend's How Deep the Father's Love for Us. Darlene Zschech's Worthy is the Lamb and Stuart Townsend/Keith Getty's In Christ Alone.

That's why I love so many of the old hymns. They contain wonderful theology and don't shy away from mentioning the price Christ paid for our redemption.

I think if we will be singing about the blood in eternity, as we are told in Revelation, that we should be singing about it here on earth!

And they sang a new song:
You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because You were slain,
and with Your blood you purchased men for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.

In a loud voice they sang:
"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!"

Revelation 5:9, 12

Here's a beautiful old hymn that reminds us that "Nothing but the Blood" can wash away our sins!



Join us at Amy's for more songs!



Photobucket

View blog reactions

8 comments:

quilly said...

One of my favorites!

l said...

One of the songs that the younger generations is missing out on. Without the shedding of blood is not forgiveness of sin.

Lisa notes... said...

Oh, you are so right. Excellent point. If we're going to be singing about the blood then, we should be singing our gratefulness for it now. Thanks, Linda!

Nel said...

I love this song! Good choice!

until next time... nel

Karen said...

Amen! I agree...there is no redemption without that precious blood...so sing about it and shout about it!

Hillsongs' Jesus' Blood is another song I love....

Debbie Petras said...

Linda, I love this song. I agree with you about some of the contemporary songs. Although I love to sing many of them, I long for the hymns that do share good theology. There's nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Sharon Cohen said...

I love the old hymns best, always have, but then - I am old!

I am so grateful to find and to follow Christian bloggers. Your testimony encourages me and that I can be sure of and trust the Source from where you draw your inspiration. Thank you for linking in to the 'Then Sings My Soul' blog hop. I'm glad I stopped by.

Michelle said...

I haven't heard this song in ages.
Great song!