Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wednesday Random Dozen


1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.

I'm sure it will be no surprise to those of you who hang around this blog to find out that my favorite teacher taught English. High school, 11th grade. She was challenging but made it so much fun. We focused on literature and also vocabulary (to prep for the SAT and those dreaded analogies!). I still exchange Christmas cards with her.

2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.

Just before the end of my sophomore year in high school, we moved 17 miles across Houston. Before we moved, we were in a deteriorating neighborhood, we went to an old church where 85% of the members were over 60 years old and there were about 4 kids in the youth group, I was introverted and fearful and shy. We moved to an area with two high schools within 2 miles of each other - that's how many teenagers there were - and joined a church that ran around 60 in the youth group. It made an incredible difference in my life and my personality.

3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?

Growing up, my favorite color was always yellow - bright, sunshiny, happy yellow. I don't know if I have one single favorite color because it depends on what it's for. I do still tend to like bright cheery colors - dark purple, fuschia, royal blue. They give me energy and make me happy. I have the opposite reaction to colors like rust, puke sage or olive green, gold (except jewelry!) or brown.

4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?

The pill bottles in my bathroom.

5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?

In theory, yes. In reality, no. Halloween costumes are a nightmare for a creatively impaired mom like me. And we don't live in a young "fun" neighborhood. I'm glad the kids are older and past that stage.

6. What's your favorite musical?

I can't believe Lidna, the Anti-Musical, asked this question! Thirty years ago I would have said The Sound of Music. Now I think it may be Mary Poppins. And I absolutely love Fiddler on the Roof. And seeing Wicked live this summer was incredible. I even like High School Musical! Musicals are just fun and make me smile!

7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?

City suburb, through and through. Too many animals in the country. And noises. And it's waaaay too scary-dark.

8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."

That would not make me at all starry-eyed! I'd much rather have something tangible.

This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.
(Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right?)


I don't text much. I think I tried to text once while I was drying my hair. Neither worked very well.

10. "It's not a party unless _______."

My friends are there! And chocolate, of course!

11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.

Well, I usually take a book with me. Otherwise, I love to watch people. People fascinate me.

12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?

Yes. I'm loyal, caring, and love to do things for friends.

Find out more random info about folks by visiting our lovely hostess, Lid at 2nd Cup of Coffee!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

12 comments:

quilly said...

#11 -- me, too! Amoeba and I watched a guy flirting with a girl today. They were on the sidewalk and we were in the car, so we got only body language, no sound -- but we supplied our own running commentary. We are so silly sometimes -- and it is pure fun.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Great list Linda! My favorite color is yellow, only the soft color, like butter cream! Yumm that sounds good too!!!!

sara said...

love your #4 and #7!

great answers!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

English teacher for me, too.

Barbara H. said...

LOL about #4. Once when we went for coffee with my husband's brother and sister-in-law, we ended up going to a store and scouting the drug aisle for various things we all needed and laughed about what fun dates we had.

I haven't seen Wicked yet.

Best answer I've seen yet to #10.

Joyce said...

It was fun visiting today...I'm a yellow gal too. And a huge fan of people watching!

Bekah said...

Great answers! The funny thing about your Halloween answer, is that I have only really started liking the holiday since my kids are old enough to dress up and I can have fun making their costumes!

Kim said...

How fun to read your answers! # 4 made me smile - yep, all lined up in a row :-) #7 is too funny; you probably don't want to go to a third world country where the electricity is sketchy. lol

Jill said...

My favorite teacher was also English! And that wasn't a surprise to people that knew me either! : )

Susanne said...

Oh say it isn't so! You dissed green? And stomped on sage and olive green specifically? I just don't even know what to say. ;v)

Robin Lambright said...

Great Random Dozen!

Have a great est of the week!

Yellow is my fave right now as well!

Robin

SouthLakesMom said...

#7 -- oh yeah! Those animal noises! There was a fox screaming outside our house the other night. It is the creepiest sound you've ever heard! And we're in the burbs!

And #10 -- I said chocolate too! Great minds think alike!