Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Standing Strong in the Storm

As I shared on Monday, life's storms often reveal what lies at the center of our beings: deadwood diguised by useless frippery or a strong faith connected to the eternal Source of strength.

I was recently touched by the testimony of two individuals whose circumstances could have resulted in their stumbling and falling, but who instead have had their faith proved genuine.

Mark Lowry is well-known for laughter and comedy. He's made several DVDs and has traveled widely. For a time he was a member of the Gaither Vocal Band, and he continues to be a part of the Gaither Homecoming Series.

But Mark's life is not all fun and laughter. He had a serious motorcycle accident in Houston a couple of years ago resulting in a good bit of knee/leg surgery and rehab. A few months earlier, in November 2005, he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. He's still performing and he was one of the presenters (and recipients!) at this year's Dove Awards. But he avoids long periods of walking.

I was so touched by his remarks on his website when he was diagnosed:

But, don't pray that God will heal me. Pray that His will will be done. If He wants me to go down this road, I wanna go! I'm sure there are diamonds to discover on the journey. And, if you pray that I'm healed and I am, I will miss the diamonds. So, I want whatever He wants. And as long as He's holding my hand, I'll be just fine.

I would gladly receive a healing. If it is the will of my Father. And, I will gladly walk through this life dragging these feet that have carried the gospel, if it is my Father's will.

I would rather walk through a valley with Him than stand on the mountain without Him. If He goes, I go. He'll be holding my hand, so what's to fear? And, besides, when I get to Heaven I will not have this opportunity. If I'm going to find diamonds on this road, it must be now.

I don't know about you, but healing would be at the top of my list! His words blessed me and reminded me that our trials often hide blessings that can only be found in that situation. His testimony gives new meaning to his song that I posted last Saturday. (From the newly released Homecoming DVD Rock of Ages)

I'll share one more absolutely incredible testimony Thursday. I have not been able to get this off my mind since I heard it.

Photobucket

View blog reactions

3 comments:

bp said...

What a wonderful attitude! I love that line "I'm sure there are diamonds to discover on the journey."

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

What an amazing perspective and faith he has! Thanks for sharing this!

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

I'm going to remember this. We all go through times when we just asked to be healed, but God's will is best, healed or not. HE is the true blessing, not avoiding pain in this fleeting life.