Friday, June 24, 2011

Dropping My Stones

My neighborhood grocery store is not where I usually see women who make their living in the world's oldest profession, but the other day there was one a couple of places in front of me in line at the customer service window. At first glance I thought it was just someone who had forgotten to put on her clothes. I'm not sure exactly what she was wearing, but it looked like a long black camisole or a short slip - it barely covered her top and her bottom! And she had on black pantyhose. But the main thing that clued me in was the wad of cash she had and I heard her say, "He left $300" as she held three one hundred dollar bills up to the light wanting to be sure they were real. She was pretty happy and giggly about those, and she was still smiling as she finished her transaction and grabbed a hand basket and headed to the produce department.

I was totally dumbfounded that she was so brazen and oblivious to the fact the it was 2:00 in the afternoon and t-shirt and shorts were the more acceptable attire.

But later, I was dumbfounded at myself and convicted of how quickly my Pharisaical heart judged her instead of seeing her through God's eyes of love and compassion. "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.." (John 8:7)

Forgive me, Lord.


Photobucket

View blog reactions

5 comments:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I asked directions from a lady in Oahu. I think the short short skirt and 8" stilletos should have been a warning sign....but as she was sweetly giving me directions a man came up and offered her 100.00 for her services. I was dumbfounded for sure.

sara said...

It makes me sad how quick I am to judge. I pray each day that God would help me see those around me the way HE sees them.

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

Well said Linda with a beautiful heart. I hate doing things like that but God is always faithful to use that in growing us to be more like Him.

Robin Lambright said...

I think we all need those reminders. When we were in Las Vegas the streets were littered with those small fliers advertising "working girls" every time I saw on on the ground covered in street dirt if was a very real life metaphor. But I guess having a teenage daughter helps me to look at all those young women and think about what happen to them in their lives to bring them to this point!

It just makes me very sad to think that there are so many young women out there who place so little value on their selves, very sad indeed!

Every time we are faced with our own judgement we have the opportunity to grow and learn from our mistakes.

I probably would have thought the very same!

Blessings
R

Anonymous said...

Oh Linda, thank you for sharing your story. Isn't human nature such a booger to deal with? It is in our nature to judge. Purposely choosing not to judge requires much training, introspection, and awareness of the Holy Spirit.

Thank you for the reminder that I need to be diligent about what I allow to enter my heart.