Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Well, life hasn't slowed down quite as much as I thought! We've been catching up on some appointments now that school is out. My girl is taking a dual-credit course to free up some room in her schedule so she can take yet another music class next year so she still has school every morning. And this is GG's last week with us; she leaves early Monday morning for a week in New York with her mom before they head back to Germany. Plus, I've been having tons of fun setting up author interviews for my time in Atlanta! If you haven't visited my blog since last Wednesday when I hinted at an incredible birthday surprise that was unfolding, click here to find out all the details, which I shared on Monday!



1. What is one thing on your bucket list? If you don't have a bucket list let's pretend you do.

I guess I'll have to pretend since I've never been a bucket list kind of girl. I've always wanted to go to Canada, particularly British Columbia.

2. What makes a good dad?

Loving God, loving his kids, patience, and a sense of humor.

3. Are you afraid of insects? Which ones?

I don't know that I'm afraid, but I'm not fond of any insects. But I especially avoid the big, buzzing, stinging ones. And the tiny mosquitos. And fire ants. Yeah, pretty much anything that's going to sting me.

4. We're barbecuing...what's on the grill at your house?

Corn on the cob. Fajitas. Burgers. Asparagus. Any of these. I even once made a peach cobbler on the grill.

5. Do you believe that playing is more important than winning?

I am highly competitive and hate to lose. But I do think the experience of playing is more important, and it's important to learn that one can't always be a winner. (Don't even get me started on the "everyone gets a prize" mentality that's so prevalent today!)

6. Do you tan? Use self tanners? Visit tanning salons? See your dermatologist at least once a year?

Ix-nay on the tanning. Yes on the dermatologist - but more for acne and barnacles of old age than for sun damage.

And if you haven't heard my barnacles story, you have to click over and read it. It's short. And sorta funny. If you aren't the one being compared to an ancient ship on the ocean floor.

7. Five years ago I would never imagine that today I would_______________.

Joyce saw this question on Marla's facebook page and she thought it was perfect for the Hodgepodge. Everyone go say hi to Marla...she has an E-book launching this week.


I have a happy answer and a not-so-happy answer:

. . .be making plans to interview authors and attend the Christy Awards!

. . .be caring for a sister with Alzheimer's who is only in her 50's.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

It is going to be a Sonic Cherry Limeade kind of summer. We've already had at least 10 days that have been 100 degrees or hotter. And it's still theoretically spring!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

11 comments:

TheHouse said...

Cobbler on the grill? That sounds amazing.

Nel said...

I was thinking the same about the cobbler. Never heard of such a thing. Cool! Sorry to hear about your sister and I probably had read that before. I feel for you that is hard to deal with, Dad had senile dementia for about 10 years, and it was hard! Prayers are with you!
until next time... nel

Joyce said...

I love grilled fruit, especially peaches. Haven't tried cobbler on the grill but hubs makes a fabulous one in a dutch oven on the fire.

So excited for you and your upcoming plans! I'll look forward to reading about it here! And I'm envious of your cherry limeade. No Sonic here. Boo.

Anonymous said...

Cobbler on the barbecue sounds...interesting lol!

The weather sounds a bit hot for me over there. We're still in the cold stages of "spring" here and it's FREEZING!!

Thena said...

Fortunately we haven't reached 100 yet other than in heat indexes. But today will be the 35th day of 90+ temps with 27 in a row. And the worse thing is we haven't had significant rainfall in about 10 weeks. Our grass is dead turning into dirt.

Betty W said...

I¨m so sorry about your sister. That is hard. My mom has Alzheimers too.
You should definitely go to BC. I´ve lived there 15 years out of my life and it´s second home to me. Such a pretty place!

SusanD said...

Barnacles of old age. Love it! I'm with you on the bugs. Excited to hear about your interviews. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Theresa said...

Peach Cobbler on the grill- WOW! I baked one last week and the family loved it.
I wish we had Sonic here...well that and Dairy Queen :)

LynnMarie said...

I'm so sorry about your sister. It really is a long Good-By. Cobbler on the grill, didn't know that was even possible. No Sonic near us but there ads are on TV all the time :(

TamTam said...

I'm so sorry about your sister....

If you ever have the chance to go to canada do so...It's so beautiful..I have been there 11 times so far and can't wait to go again....When I do go it should be really nice cause I haven't been there sine 1999

bp said...

Peach cobbler on the grill!! Sounds interesting!

We like to hit up sonic at happy hour. I've been getting a strawberry limeade slush. My cousin got me started on those.