Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sizzlin' Summer Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Summer's here-whoohoo! What's your favorite sight, sound, AND smell associated with summer?

Sight - Daylight at 8:30 pm
Sound - Kids playing outside
Smell - Sunscreen. And fresh fruit

2. Fireflies or lightning bugs...what are they called in your neck of the woods?

Seems like I've heard them called both, but lightning bugs is probably the more common term.

3. What is something from the past week that reminded you of your childhood?

Cutting open a watermelon. It made me think of my dad and growing up.

4. Define 'the good life'.

Peace with God. A loving family. Friends. Food, clothing, shelter. A good book and an occasional treat. In short, I've got it!

5. Tell us what we'd see if you took a snapshot of your desk/work space?

UPDATED: I can't believe I skipped this one. Must have been a subconscious refusal to admit what you would see! Of course, I could actually take a snapshot, but that would be getting far too personal. Might as well show you my underwear drawer! My little corner is a mess, but it's not quite the tornado it was before I got all my sister's papers organized and into a file drawer. But this is where the mail lands and the bills. And then there are the books. The stacks waiting to be read, the stack read and waiting for reviews to be written, and the stack(s) of the books I want to read independent of reviews. Then there's all the miscellaneous stuff that seems to find its way here.

6. Peaches or watermelon...yes, you have to choose.

Oh yeah?! And what'll you do if I don't? Come through the screen?! LOL Sigh. Texas Hill Country peaches are the BEST. But. They are very weather-dependent and this has been a dry year. So I shall have to pick watermelon. It's more consistently good. And doesn't bruise easily!

7. Ever been skinny dippin'? Is that too much for the Wednesday Hodgepodge? Rest assured we won't need details...unless of course you feel you must but remember, this is a family friendly blog so keep it G rated.

Nope. Never even wanted to.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Tonight the summer youth group Bible Study starts. This will be the first year I haven't had to drive my kids there. And yesterday I had a conflict come up at the last minute and they went to the dentist by themselves. Who gave them permission to grow up?!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on #8. Sometimes it seems as if I blinked, and my children grew up. Sigh...

Joyce said...

I have a love/hate relationship with kids driving. Still. And mine are in their 20's!

Enjoy this summer day!

SusanD said...

Oh how I love more daylight hours. There are a few children in my neighborhood. Listening to them play makes my heart smile. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

sara said...

so you skipped #5!!!

I'm with you with the kids. it's both good and bad at the same time.

I joined into the hodgepodge today!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I too am with you on #8. I wonder where the time went.

Mary said...

A watermelon being cut open: what a wonderful sight (and smell!)!!
I also agree with you on #8! I can't believe my youngest only has 2 more band camps left!

Cathy said...

That growing up thing...it happens to all our kids. Sometimes I like and sometimes I don't. haha

I'm with you on the stacks of books. I think I'm actually caught up on the review books and I've decided to just read for my own pleasure this summer. (the review books are pleasure too, but they add a little pressure to get finished on time).

quilly said...

Daylight here until 10:00 p.m. --

And I spent a lot of my childhood in the back of the back of beyond. I probably did more skinny dipping than I did suit wearing. Generally I was alone -- literally for miles around -- so what did it matter? (It still boggles my mind that my parents let me swim alone!)

LynnMarie said...

I'm with you on enjoying the longer sunshine! Too bad we start to loose some of that now. Anyhow, love summer.

Angie said...

Loved the underwear drawer comment. Ha! I would rather show you my underwear drawer, that's how bad the desk is at the moment.

Yep, they grow up. Now I'm talking to my newly married daughter about great recipes for dinner and buying new tires. How did that happen?