Monday, November 22, 2010

It's a Girl!

No, I'm not expecting a baby. But I am happy to announce that a new "daughter" came to live with us on Friday, an exchange student from Germany. (I'll refer to her as GG - for German Girl!) She arrived in August and was living with another family in our church, but unforeseen circumstances led to her needing to live elsewhere. She will be with us until June.

It is so neat to see how God set things in motion long before we even realized we would be hosting her. GG and another exchange student, who was from Italy, arrived in August and were staying with an "empty nest" couple in our church who also live just about 5 blocks from us. So the girls go to the same high school as my kids. Most of the families in our church live in the zones of a couple of district high schools, so my girl was thrilled to have some friends that she would see both at church and at school. The three of them did several things together, and my girl likes both of them, but she and GG just "clicked" and became really close.

About six weeks ago or so, GG's school scheduled got altered a bit and she ended up with the last period off on her "B" days. My boy is also off then, so I began picking her up as well, dropping her off at her host family's house so she didn't have to sit in the library that last period. Due to the locations of their classrooms, GG always got to the car first, and we had about 5 minutes to chat and get to know each other before my boy got to the car.

Hmmm, do you think God intentionally caused those two situations to occur, bonding her to our family before we even knew there would be a need? I love seeing how He orchestrates things!

I wonder if He'll orchestrate me right out of the jury duty for which I'm scheduled the week before Christmas, when the kids have abbreviated days and potential final exam exemptions?!


Photobucket

View blog reactions

10 comments:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Now that is awesome! I love it when God makes a plan come together.

Cathy said...

God is really great isn't he! He always knows and we just need to listen and follow. I love hearing a witness about God-things as we call them!

Joyce said...

I love when we see God in the details...He's always in the details but sometimes we miss that. Have fun with your addition!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

How lovely for both of them. Exchange students get wonderful experience in a different country. I think they are very brave. My daughter has had 2 Japanese girls. School is different in different countries. Bless you.

Kim said...

NEAT Linda!! I have a lot of great memories from a friendship with a German gal during my first couple of years of college! You'll never, ever forget this time!

Cindy said...

How fun for you! Sounds like a definite divine appointment.

Carole said...

I enjoyed reading about the way God worked things out with your exchange student, Linda. It especially hit home with me because my daughter leads a campus ministry at the university in Tuebingen, Germany - and exchange students are a big part of their ministry. May God bless your time with "GG."

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

She is going to be so blessed. I'm sure you will influence her for a lifetime!

quilly said...

God knew there was going to be a need and he obviously hand-picked the family to do it!

bp said...

I enjoyed reading this so much a while back on my Reader and never commented. It sounds like God had a great plan to work all this out for your family!